Should I get iMac now or wait??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 22, 2011.

  1. bobright macrumors 601

    Jun 29, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    So I'm debating on wether or not I should get an iMac as currently I've got about 1200 saved up and am looking at maybe a refurb. I kind of want to wait for the new ones to come out - but knowing me I'll end up wanting the new iPad or slowly end up spending here and there and end up getting nothing. I'm young and money can be tough at times.

    If I try saving for the new ones wont they be out till at least what 5-6 months from now?

    I want one mainly for doing some music/vocal recording on it, would the current gen at 1tb suffice? Or would something like "music recording" better be served for the upcoming faster processor model?
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    Buy what you want, when you want it. No matter when you buy, there will always be another update around the corner.
  3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

    Sep 30, 2003
    Current model is way, way more than what you need for music and vocal recording and mixing.
  4. Blaine macrumors 6502a


    Dec 3, 2007
    Abilene TX
    I'd wait. New ones rumored to be redesigned. The chin may be much smaller. :)
  5. jertronic macrumors member

    Nov 14, 2011
    This will be my first Christmas as a mac user. I bought the base model 21" in mid November. During my deliberations and during the time I spend "kicking the tires" the argument can go either way; buy or wait.

    But, I have to say that buying now was such a good move. There are no regrets. My analysis on the whole "iMac decision" led me down the path which basically preaches that desktop computers are a "mature" technology. Even if, and that is a big "if", the iMac gets a redesign the specs won't be much different. I waited 6 months for the iPhone 4S all the while using an old back up motorola flip clam shell phone. And this resulted in a new model which was a bump in specs, but one that had the same exact shell.

    If you need it buy now. You can't go wrong either way.
  6. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Jul 1, 2010
    I think anyone who buys now won't regret... til the new one comes out with some kickass feature, which may or may not happen.

    I always find the "I don't regret it" people funny, who say they don't regret their purchase during the few months their buy is "new", then BAM, their 3 month old iPhone 3GS suddenly looks outdated compared to the iPhone 4 and then they get jealous. I'm not saying the same thing will happen with the new iMac, but who knows.

    If you think you won't have the money when the new one comes out, just buy one now. If you already have a computer that works fine, I think you should wait, but it's really up to you.
  7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    my old 2006 2.0 17" imac would work for your needs...i say buy now.

Share This Page