Should I get in line for the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thebassoonist, Jul 13, 2010.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Good afternoon!

I am planning to buy a phone sometime before September. My two year contract date with AT&T has been up for a LONG time now. In fact, the phone I'm using is a RAZR. I really love the aesthetics of the iPhone and iOS 4 and have played around with the iPhone 4 in my local AT&T store. But after reading about all the issues people are having, I'm not sure if it's a good purchase idea.

Truth be told, I won't be using this phone much for calling. I want it mainly for mobile Internet and the applications. So maybe most of the issues won't be too critical for me?

I am already planning to wait for the white one to be released and am eyeing the blue bumper. Anyone think the problems might be fixed by then? Or are people so fed up that they'd recommend staying away... for good?

Thanks in advance!

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've got no regrets with my iPhone 4 but then I haven't been having any of the issues that other people are having. I'm not doubting that there could be some design flaw and because of that it may be worth waiting for the dust to settle first (i.e. see if the complaints continue after the announced software fix).

The consumer always wins in the end, and Apple would be wise not to forget that. I do also think that there's been a lot of media heat over the issue which may or may not have exaggerated the problems. You never hear about the good stories as much as the bad.

If I were you, I would be in line today but if you've waited this long so far it might be better to see if this planned software 'fix' fixes it or whether Apple makes any minor changes to future units.

I'm not sure if this helps you but just trying to put it into perspective :)

3. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Thanks! Perspective is exactly what I was looking for!

4. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Based on Google Maps and your city (no, I'm not stalking you), it appears you live in a very rural area. My only concern would be for the signal strength issue that everyone's talking about.

I live in Dallas, Texas -- with cell towers within viewing distance of my office -- and I still drop calls on a regular basis.

Otherwise, I would wholeheartedly say "Yes" to getting a new iPhone.

-Aaron-

5. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

That's a good point. Hopefully during my waiting period, someone I know here will get one and I'll be able to ask. Do you have trouble with downloading emails and such with your iPhone in your office?