Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHirstyUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
England, UK
I really want an iPad, and have been saving up for a while, and now have enough. But with the 'iPad 3' rumours coming in thick and fast, with a rumoured release for March, do you think I should wait for the next iPad, or buy the current iPad 2?

LeeThePeople

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
Manchester
With all Apple products, if you want one, you need to buy one.

You can spend for ever waiting for the next big thing, iPad 3 is likely to be very awesome. But when is it coming? is it going to be worth going without an iPad for 3 months, 6 months, 12 months?

If you want one, buy one and enjoy it, don't worry about what it could of been.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
I really want an iPad, and have been saving up for a while, and now have enough. But with the 'iPad 3' rumours coming in thick and fast, with a rumoured release for March, do you think I should wait for the next iPad, or buy the current iPad 2?

If you really *do* want an iPad now, why wait for the next model? There's a reason why you want an iPad in the first place, which is why the current should be good enough. Are you afraid to get buyer's remorse when the newer model comes out?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wait if you can. You'll be kicking yourself if you jump on the iPad 2 now and apple releases the 3 in early 2012 with a hi-res display.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
if you wait, you'll be waiting forever....ipad 3...4....5...6...endless...:p

buy it now, you are going to enjoy it. take care of it, and when ipad 3 arives, if you can afford it, and if you think its worth the upgrade, them sell the ipad 2 and get the 3 :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
if you wait, you'll be waiting forever....ipad 3...4....5...6...endless...:p

buy it now, you are going to enjoy it. take care of it, and when ipad 3 arives, if you can afford it, and if you think its worth the upgrade, them sell the ipad 2 and get the 3 :D

True, but if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, and the rumors are swirling about that the update is early next year wouldn't it be better to wait a couple of months and get something with more features. We're not talking about waiting for an iPad 4 right after the iPad three was released.

TheHirstyUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
England, UK
Thanks for all your opinions, I'm going to get my Dad a refurbished iPad 2 for Christmas, and see what I think of it for home use (it's a lot different when you use a product at home than in the store) and then make a decision whether to wait, or go right in and buy the current gen.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Buy now.

The next gen iPad may be very expensive if it has the rumored hi-res display.

Based on Apple recent history, it's highly unlikely that the next generation would be priced differently than the current one (iPhone 4 was priced identically to 3GS when they launched the Retina Display). If there's a difference at all it will be a few tens bucks.

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
not worth getting a device thats 9months into a cycle of 12. Seeing as Apple usually supports a device for about 2.5-3 years.

My 1st gen itouch is now useless other than a music player as I have updated many apps to use on my iphone 4s that now are not supported on devices with iOs4.2 and below. I was lucky to have purchased very close to release date and managed to make very good use of it and still being a strong unit, it would be nice to have all/most apps still be able to run on it, at least the ones I purchased for it.

If you purchase ipad2 now, you'll have missed out on 9-12months of shelf life. I would stick to purchasing an iOS device within 6months of release, unless you really need one now.

aimeeinohio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
Meh, if I had the cash I'd get it ... I just got mine a couple of months ago. I figure if the 3 is THAT much of an improvement I'll pass this one on to the kids or hubby and buy the 3.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
looks like you know your decisions already.

If I was in your shoes, which I was around October, I would wait.
I know the understanding of why wait when you can get it now and enjoy, you might wait longer, like an iPhone 4S.
That said, I like to look at the "statistical" yearly offerings and if you are less than a 1/3 of the way through, buy buy buy. If you are between 1/2 and 1/3 maybe so. Anything more than 2/3s I'd say wait. You've already waited this long.

My wife got a one-time bonus and was very excited to get one and wanted one. I said let's wait for better camera and screen which might likely come.
But my work had a Halloween Costume contest, and I won…the iPad2.
I LOVE the iPad. Very cool to have and makes surfing less clunky, editing photos from iPhone much easier, and lots more to do on it.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Based on Apple recent history, it's highly unlikely that the next generation would be priced differently than the current one (iPhone 4 was priced identically to 3GS when they launched the Retina Display). If there's a difference at all it will be a few tens bucks.

You might be right. The main reason I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase is the fact that it's a much larger display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.