Should I get iPhone 5s or 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulianGN, Jul 10, 2015.

1. JulianGN macrumors newbie

I would certainly get the 6 if it weren't $150 more, but I think that paying the same amount for a phone, 5s, as it would cost for a new ipad 2 with twice the storage is insane!

This is going to be my first smartphone, ever, and I will be financing it for 2 years with no contract; this raises the issue of how long it will be compatible.

Budget is a big priority if you haven't guessed.

So, with those things in mind, what do you guys have to say on the matter?

Thanks

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd get the 6. It is better future proofed than the 5s.

3. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

4. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

The 5s is what I already consider over budget, and I have to get the phone within probably a week.

5. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

ipadpro

then get a 6 ... cause a 6 performance better than 5s twice ,.,

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's complete and total BS. The A8 is only about 15-20% better than the A7 at best.

7. EdenTan macrumors member

EdenTan

This. This guy has been talking crap.

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

So despite the question in your thread title, your budget barely stretches to afford the 5S and you have to have the phone within a week? If you only care about the cost, you have your answer already. That's like asking, hey guys I can barely afford the base model mustang, but should I get the GT?

Get the 5S if you can't wait for prices to drop.

9. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

If this will be your first smart phone why do you have to buy it within a week? Save up the money you would spend on financing it and buy one outright in two years. Or pick up a second job and get it sooner.

10. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue of price isn't actually that I can't afford it - I just don't see how they can justify charging that much for so little material.

If I get a phone within about a week, I get $100 off, so I want to take advantage of that.

I really hate this decision, so sorry about my indecisiveness and random points haha.

11. techspin macrumors 6502a

Then I say get the 6 and be done with it. You're paying for the brand and the ease of use. There are some diehard 5S fans here, but I find the 6 to be faster and the larger display makes the phone more pleasing to navigate. Or get a cheaper Android phone now with the discount and wait to see if you feel you want to switch once the 6S is released.

12. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

OP, if the extra screen real estate and design of the 6 are really worth it for you, get the 6. Every other upgrade is very minor. Otherwise go for the 5S.

Is it really though? CPU wise, both are dual-core and the 6 is only 25% faster, and GPU wise, both are quad-core and the 6 is only 50% faster. Both have 1GB RAM. I think both the A7 and the A8 will both last about two years after iOS becomes 64-bit only, and A8X and A9 will last three.

13. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

Just to come clean, I'm a 5s fan, it's what I now own, and it's what I would buy again today. However, the 6 is one generation newer, it's thinner, and it has a larger screen. You need to handle both and make your decision after doing so. Don't think you will be dissatisfied either way. The 5s is not going to be out dated in the near future.

14. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Since going through 4,4s,5,5s, I'd agree. Each one was a minor improvement (although welcome) In real world use, you typically forget the extra little speed. The case might be a more important factor. The 5s is doing just fine under the hood.

15. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

Couldn't agree more, hang in there and get the newer model ofc!

16. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found out that if I buy the IPhone from t mobile that the phone will be useless if I were to switch carriers, and Apple doesn't have financing, so I won't be able to get one.

Thanks for the help

17. LucasEVille macrumors regular

LucasEVille

Which country is this? Apple webstore UK has financing.

18. JulianGN, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

The other side of the massive pond. Here it says they will finance ipads, laptops, and software for no more than 18 months.

19. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

Get the iPhone 5s for now then get the iPhone 6s later this year.

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you're on T-Mobile postpaid then you can indeed go into the Apple Store and finance an iPhone. It's actually unlocked out of the box since Apple does not sell locked T-Mobile iPhones.

21. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you give a link with apple's iphone financing information, as I couldn't find it.

22. JulianGN thread starter macrumors newbie

23. jcgr96 macrumors newbie

Just jump and get the 6, you'll feel the screen and its just a better iphone, I say its worth the money and dont worry that after all both phones are amazing if its your first smartphone

24. alamares143 macrumors newbie

6s rose gold is coming out soon. With better software. If you can wait. Then itll be the best.

25. nfl46 macrumors 603

iPhone 6.