iPad Should I get it now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skaertus, Aug 24, 2016.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I am thinking of buying the 9.7" Pro in the next few days. However, I am still unsure as there are conflicting reports of a new iPad being released this year (in September or October) or in 2017. If Apple releases a new one this year, then I may wait, but I think 2016 would be too early for Apple to release a new model since the last one was unveiled in March. What do you think?

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I personally would wait until next month to see if there's any news about when it may or may not come out. Unless of course you really need one right now I think the 9.7 is a very good iPad

3. Bromio macrumors 6502

A new 9.7" iPad Pro is very unlikely this year. If you can wait till 2017, do it. Otherwise, the current one is really fine.

4. Leo90 macrumors 6502

If you really can wait like you said, it just means you don't need it. But like other people already said, the current iPad Pro 9.7 is a powerhouse! Boa sorte com a tua compra ;)

5. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

If you are a student and can get a free pair of beats and save 20$ i would order now, other then that i think there is chance for new iPad's in October so i would wait.

6. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Why do you think there may be a new iPad in October? In the past years, iPads were released in October, but a new one came out in March. That would mean a 7-month difference only between the two iPads. That happened with the iPad 3, which was discontinued only after 7 months of release, but it was very slow indeed and sales of iPad were booming at the time.

7. gregrose macrumors 6502

I got a used iPad Air 2 and freaking loving it so far.

8. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Wait if you can. Could be some interesting things coming up. Apple has done some short cycle updates in the past.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 24, 2016 ---
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The 9.7 was released in March 2016, so this won't be updated until 2017. I highly doubt the 12.9 iPad Pro will be refreshed for the remainder of the year, being its one year anniversary is in November.

Lastly, Apple's time line with product has changed a lot Over the years, I would not rely on any time tables.

10. Teddek macrumors newbie

Teddek

There will always be the next best thing. If you want/need it buy it.

11. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

What do you use it for?

12. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, but it is frustrating to buy it now and to have a new one for the same price waiting just around the corner.

13. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

This is what I was thinking. As sales of iPads are slowing down, I think the tendency for Apple is to increase the time between the updates (as the upgrade cicle of the iPads seems to be similar to the ones for Macs, not iPhones). Or am I wrong?

14. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, it is. And I simply don't know how Apple could offer much improvement right now. But who knows...

15. gregrose macrumors 6502

The usual, browsing, streaming, etc...will use it for music production too

16. Leo90 macrumors 6502

from the top of my head, more ram (to match its giant brother of 12.9) and presence of 3D touch would be really nice additions to a possible new Pro 9.7. However, I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon. If I were you, I would get the current 9.7 Pro.

17. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

My use would be to browse the internet, read and annotate PDFs, reading and answering emails, and using Office apps (mainly Word and PowerPoint). And also occasional gaming, but this is far from being the purpose of it.

18. gregrose macrumors 6502

I think an air 2 would be just fime

19. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I thought of that but the pencil and the keyboard would be nice additions. Also, I could benefit from the improved screen.

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It is doubtful there will be a new model, but we are so close so why not wait just a little bit longer?

If you can just wait a couple of weeks, Apple's next event is predicted to be in the second week of September.

Heck, you don't even have to wait until the event itself. Wait until the event is announced, and you can buy it at an Apple Store at most 14 days before the event. If something at the event changes your mind, you are within the 15 day return period.

21. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Thanks. In fact, I cannot do that. I am not in the US. So, once I buy it, I won't be able to change for a newer model.

22. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

Actually doesn't matter where you live you can always return hey Apple product within 14 days and get the new model it's something Apple has done for a very very long time

PS where exactly do you live

23. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I live in Brazil. What I am thinking is buying the iPad abroad (not to incur in Brazilian very high prices) and to bring it here. But then I don't know if Apple would accept a return here in Brazil, especially of a product bought outside of the country.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 24, 2016 ---
    For what I've read so far, it seems that the release of a new 9.7-inch iPad (i) in September is very unlikely, given that Apple should host an iPhone-only event and there would also be only 6 months since the last update; (ii) October is unlikely, given that the last update would have been 7 months earlier and that the A10X processor would probably not be ready to debut in large scale (and the A9X is still good enough); (iii) March is more likely given that there would have been 1 year since the last update.

24. bensisko macrumors 65816

Even if Apple DOES update the iPads in October, they probably won't be significant.

I get what you're saying - and if there was a chance that there would be new, significant changes, I wouldn't have bought my 9.7" Pro just under a week ago!

25. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Any new updates will likely bring new exclusive features to the iPad Pro lines like.

Side by Side video and Layered Multitasking maybe Bluetooth Mouse support and more.