Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jowa44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
Hi everyone,

I compose music in GarageBand for games I'm developing and I'm thinking about switching to Logic. I don't have any real instruments except for a e-piano, meaning that I can't use the guitar amps etc. Is Logic Express a good choice for someone who uses software instruments most of the time? And another important feature: Can I use VST plugins?

Thanks!

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Hi everyone,

I compose music in GarageBand for games I'm developing and I'm thinking about switching to Logic. I don't have any real instruments except for a e-piano, meaning that I can't use the guitar amps etc. Is Logic Express a good choice for someone who uses software instruments most of the time? And another important feature: Can I use VST plugins?

Thanks!

Umm, maybe you should read some of the forum posts about FCP X and then decide. You pretty much have a 100% chance of Apple updating it and totally ****ing you over in terms of backwards compatibility and being able to read older projects "sometime" in the immediate future.

-mark

Javik

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
Australia
Nonono

Umm, maybe you should read some of the forum posts about FCP X and then decide. You pretty much have a 100% chance of Apple updating it and totally ****ing you over in terms of backwards compatibility and being able to read older projects "sometime" in the immediate future.

-mark

Nonono, audio projects are independent of file type. U can always export the individual tracks or multi track and work straight into any daw. This is where music and audio visual workstations differ.

Get logic express. Lpx will give architecture and ui changes that will compliment logic express.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Logic Pro X is a wildcard worth watching out for, but have you looked at Reaper? I use Logic Express 9 and I love it, but got it for a good price second-hand off a friend, and Reaper was only at version 2 then. For $40, Reaper is very tempting just to play around with. In addition, some plugin developers (such as Stillwell) off cheaper licensing for Reaper users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.