Should I get MB, rMBP13, or MBA13?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darrenc95, Mar 10, 2015.

1. darrenc95, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

darrenc95 macrumors newbie

I currently have a non-retina MBP that I plan on selling to a friend. So I am definitely getting a new MacBook very soon. I'm just not sure which one, though I have ruled out the MBA11 (it's basically an inferior version of the new MB) and the MBP15 (I'm not a power user)

My usage - I do simple things like web surfing, music via iTunes/Spotify, Netflix, some word processing for school. Nothing fancy. (My major will require me to take 1-2 video production courses, so I may need to do some editing. But my school has a computer lab with Mac desktops, so I can do much of my work on those if need be.) However, I spend a LOT of time on my computer - probably way too many hours a day.

As a student, I will take advantage of Apple's education pricing, so for everything I'm considering (with price boosts for RAM and storage where needed):

- 13-inch MacBook Air: $1,239 (save $60)
    - MacBook: $1,249 (save $50)
    - 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display: $1,399 (save $100)

I am leaning very far away from the MBA since I can get a thinner computer with Retina display for $10 more, but I haven't totally ruled it out yet - mainly because of its 12-hour battery (9 and 10 hours aren't anything to scoff at, either...) and lower price. My biggest concern with the Air is that I don't want to buy a computer that will be severely outdated in a few years (like my current MBP), and it seems very likely that the new MacBook could eventually replace it.

My main concern with the new MacBook is the Intel M processor - as I said, I'm not a power user, but I use my computer frequently enough that the low specs are a concern. But my main concern about getting the rMBP is having too much power that will go unused, hence wasting a hundred dollars or so.

2. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

apple has never been known to be generous with its base level of RAM (basic configuration before user adding additional).
    since the new mb has 8GB RAM, you can assume that it absolutely needed 8 to at least have a chance of not being laggy. which probably means that even with 8GB the machine is probably slow.

on the other hand, the new mba with its optional fastest cores, if you put in 8GB RAM, will not be a slow machine.

you rule out the mba, but it is all around a much much better machine.

there is only 1 reason to buy the new mb: if you absolutely want a retina display.

apple's tag lines for its keynotes usually do mean something. in this case, apple is really springing forward into positioning its MacBooks lines in new ways. its unclear how the mba and mbp lines will also be evolved.

3. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

the new Macbook it totally made for you! :)

8GB of ram & Retina screen! perfect duo! I have several computers but always do more reading & surfing on my MBP because of the retina screen.

Once you get it, you can't go back! :D

4. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

The only reason why you need to get the new MacBook is because of two extra colors! If you don't need a gold or grey macbook then just go for a rMBP.

This is a very good point. Cheers.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Thumbs up! #

6. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

I am not a fan of the low power CPU. Unless all you want is mail and facebook.

7. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

I'd say wait until reviews are out, I'm sure most people are exaggerating...it's not just for "mail and Facebook"....

As a student myself I also use iTunes amd word processors and web browsers...this Mac is made just for that.

And I travelle all day, so having a light weight computer makes a diffence

I'm going with the new MacBook

8. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

If you use it a lot, size and weight mean a HUGE amount. I've been buying Apple notebooks for years and used to be CPU-hungry, drinking benchmarks, eventually I grew out of that cult and realised I rarely revved the cores to max. Nevertheless I expect my notebook to be snappy for what I do, except the occasional time I do stress it (Handbrake I'm looking at you). I don't know yet but I imagine the rMB will be adequate for everything you mention including light video editing (though i guess it'll stutter).

The portability of the rMB sells it for me. Trust me if you've been using a MB all this time, you'll be one the MOON with the rMB. Even the transition of MB - MBA is liberating in terms of being a quick pick-up, throw in your bag etc. Wait for the reviews though.