Should I get MBP or ultimate MBA 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 196josue, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 196josue macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hey guys. I will be getting a new notebook in February and I would like to see which notebook fills my needs. I am a student and I will be using the usual email, internet, and word processor. I will also be using iPhoto/aperture and possibly SC2. Would the ultimate MBA 13" be enough to run all that, or would it be best to get a MBP configured? Thanks for your suggestions!

2. applepearpp macrumors regular

if you were to spend 1700 on a laptop, spend it on macbook pro. the 15" is way more powerful than the MBA, and it will run the programs you want faster significantly.

a MBA is limited in many ways. you'll need an external hard drive to store your data because the SSD is very limited in space. also, MPA doesn't have any upgradeability. it's pretty much going to be the same for the duration of you having it. a Macbook pro can be upgraded by putting in more ram and a bigger and/or faster drive. if you get the today's macbook pro you can also take the super drive out and replace it with another hard drive.

also, by feb there should be an upgrade to the Macbook pro line. the new model should have a stronger CPU and graphic card, which are essential to your gaming (yes, college students play game not just in their freshmen year).

3. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was thinking of using a data doubler for sure. I Also have been thinking of buying a time capsule.

4. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Go for the MBP. It will be much better for aperture and games.

5. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

Is there an enclosure out there I can put my optical drive in?

6. Built macrumors 68020

MBP, for sure.

Optical drive = versatility.
    Upgradeability = longevity.

...and it's still supremely portable.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd get the 13" MacBook Pro. Its better in pretty much every way. It is also very light, unlike most Windows laptops :)

8. King t. macrumors regular

Yup get the MBP... If u need something ultra portable, I suggest u get a iPad ;)
    I'm loving mine... :apple:

9. 196josue thread starter macrumors regular

I had an iPad. It just can't do what I wanted on it. i.e. Aperture

10. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Based on your sig. you have an iMac with only 2GB of ram. That is going to limit your Aperture work flow as much as a 0.5 GHz difference in processor speeds. If you are going to keep your imac (and upgrade the Ram) and you are looking for a truly portable second computer (student needs) then the AIR is an easy decision. This decision, however, may become more difficult if they update the MBP's by February when you're lookin' to buy.

11. smc333 macrumors regular

Here's another hidden aspect in the MBP's favor.

If you are running games, chances are the 320M will fare better on 1280x800 as opposed to 1440x900.

Everything is better in native resolution, so in this case, a lower-res screen might benefit you.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you got a high end MacBook Pro however you could use it as your only computer. And if you get an external display, it'd make a great solo computer :D

13. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

MBP, MBA will be kind of hard to do more graphic intensive things.

14. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Looking at various tests the ultimate MBA wasn't that far behind the 13" MBA, and the MBA has a higher resolution. I think it comes down to weight, especially since you already have an iMac you can use its SuperDrive for the few times you would need it. As a student you'll probably be always carry your notebook . . . so for mobility and the fact you're not giving up that much to the 13" MBP I'd say go for the MBA.