Should I Get More RAM for my MB?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chimi, Dec 9, 2007.

1. chimi macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a 2.0 Ghz Macbook that is about a year and a half old. I have 1GB of RAM (2 512MB sticks) and it has done well for me thus far.

I was wondering if I got more RAM, what good it would actually do me? I don't do anything hardcore, mainly edit photos in iPhoto, use Microsoft Office, surf the internet, etc. When I have for example, iPhoto open, my iStat Pro says that there is a little bit of free RAM available. So my question is, if I got more RAM, and thus had MORE free RAM available, would this make my programs run faster? Or would more RAM just enable me to have more programs open at once?

Sorry if these are really basic questions. Also, as I understand it, I would have to get 2 equal RAM sticks, right? Meaning I'd have to get 2 1GB sticks? Also, would changing out the RAM invalidate my Applecare warranty?

Thanks!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It will make it multi-task better, as its so cheap its probably a worthwhile purchase.

3. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I don't think, based on your outline of how you're using your computer, that you need more RAM. Free RAM is just one measure of how much RAM your computer has to borrow from to optimize performance. There is another measure, inactive RAM. That is stuff that's no longer in use but just sitting in your RAM; if you need that RAM, your system will dump the data not in use in favour of your active tasks.

The best measure to see if your system is deficient of memory is to watch for page outs, using your Activity Monitor (applications/utilities). FYI: the page outs is the second number, e.g. 33,546/0. Page outs are registered when your RAM amount doesn't adequately support your active tasks and the system write virtual RAM on your HD. The best way to monitor for this is to restart your system, use it as you normally would for about 30 minutes, and check your accumulated virtual RAM with system monitor. If the number is 0, that's great. You're fine. If the number is more than a couple thousand, you might need to acquire more RAM.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

2gb pairs are available at Newegg for $40. I ordered a pair, and plan to install them when my MB arrives. It makes multitasking more fun. And if you want to run Vista, it's a lot easier with 2gb than with 1gb. XP runs perfectly well on 1gb.

5. chimi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. If RAM is only $40 for 2GB then I might as well just get it. That is sooo cheap!

6. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

YES YES YES!!!! GOOD CHOCE!!!! MAC OS X LOVES RAM!!!::cool: