Should I get my battery serviced even though I won't be using my MBA off the adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kylera, Oct 2, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Recently, I've noticed that the "service battery" warning popped up on my 2012 MBA. The capacity is obviously shot given how often I used it on the go. However, I also got a brand new retina MacBook so I really don't have any intention on using my Air outside my home anymore.

Is it worth getting the battery replaced?

2. JonLa macrumors 6502

Mine is a 2010 but I asked a Support Chat what the meaning of "service battery" was and he said it was triggered by the battery being able to hold under 80% of original capacity.

3. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Nah man. I have an Air equally as old and intend to upgrade it really soon. If it's not your primary machine anymore, there isn't really much of a reason to invest anything into it at this point. I plan to keep mine as a Windows machine once I finally upgrade.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well just keep an eye out for a swelling battery if that happens it can destroy your Mac. At that point you either remove it and keep going or get it replaced.

5. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I might be wrong but doesn't the MacBook still need a working battery even if it's plugged in?

6. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

That is my understanding as well. I can only hope that the battery doesn't expand for the next few years. My MBA will be my backup laptop in case anything happens to my rMB.

EDIT: I stand corrected, at least for now. According to this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5226810?start=0

It is doable, but with conditions.