Should I get my iPad 2 replaced?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Roc P., May 10, 2012.

1. Roc P. macrumors regular

I bought an iPad 2 in January and I love it! However, once a day, usually the first time I use it, my volume down button is unresponsive. After I hold it down for a few seconds it starts working again. Since my iPad 2 is still covered under the one year warranty I am wondering if I should bring it to an Apple store and see if they will replace it. Thing is, I feel like I would just end up with another defective iPad 2 anyway. When I bought my mom one recently, hers kept restarting itself and had to be replaced.

Basically my point is that if the problem stays the same, I can live with it. I am just wondering if anyone has experienced it before and if you think it will just eventually lead to a completely non working volume down button? Any input is appreciated.

:(

2. Mk4Jetta macrumors newbie

If you aren't happy then try taking it back and see what they say. If you get another defected one then take that back also. You paid your hard earned money for a product that should work correctly.

3. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah you've got a point.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I would return for that. That's possibly a mechanical thing that needs to be corrected.

5. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. It's annoying to have to clear everything out of my iPad first before I bring it in just in case they do replace it. I don't trust my stuff being on there. Gotta be careful to turn off iCloud first too before deleting contacts etc. otherwise they will disappear from all my devices. What a headache. That's why I might just deal with it and hope for the best.

6. seajewel macrumors 6502

I had problems with my lock button on the iPhone a month after the warranty expired. At first it just didn't work well, now it permanently doesn't work. You don't want to be in that kind of situation.. if you have warranty coverage, get it fixed/exchanged!

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

If it makes you feel any better, when I sold my iPad 2, I did a factory restore. If you've been backing up to iCloud you still have old backups int here. You should be able to wipe it.

8. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you guys are right. I just made an appointment with the genius bar for Sunday. I guess I'll see what happens. What a headache. 2 iPads bought this year and both defective. I don't have high hopes here.

----------

I don't backup to iCloud I do everything manually. It'll work out its just annoying. I do use iCloud to sync bookmarks and contacts though.

9. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

You could take a few minutes and upload to to iCloud just so you have it, it won't remove any manual backups, just an extra security.

10. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, I only have 5GB of space in my iCloud account and I'm not really even quite sure I understand how backing up to iCloud works. I am sure it is easier than doing everything manually but really all I'll have to do is just reinstall a few apps and sync to my iTunes. Then when I turn iCloud back on to sync my contacts and safari bookmarks everything will be there. I know if I do get a replacement, I am starting it fresh instead of syncing it to the backup of my current iPad. I've heard people have problems doing that. Who knows, they might just tell me to go F myself anyway lol

11. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Hehe, no I'm sure you'll get a replacement if you're under warranty. :)

If I were you though, if you get a new iPad, I'd just set up iCloud, it is literally as simple as signing up, and then it just runs in the background and backs up every x amount of days.

I didn't think I would use it, but when I got in the position that I had to restore my iPad and my most recent backup was months ago, I sure was glad I had iCloud.

12. Roc P., May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

That's good. Maybe I will look into it. I already just deleted everything manually cus I am bored at work lol I just really hope that if they replace it that I get a good one not a broken one :(

Also, wouldn't it be something if the button works fine when I bring it? I am not using it until I get there as it happens every time I just start using it every day.