Should I get my memory installed at the Apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lipstick, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Lipstick macrumors member

I chose the 2.26GHz MacBook, 2GB memory but would like to upgrade to 4GB. I can order online but I'm a little bit eager. Now, my local store says that they have them ready in stock and can install the 4GB for me. (will take 2-3 hours) Problem is this is my first Mac purchase and I don't know if I should do that. Should I go for it? Any bad experiences or anything I should know about? Thank you for your help.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is usually much more expensive at the Apple Store

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Apple way over-charges for their RAM. You should find RAM on newegg and just install it yourself. The inside of the mac has a picture showing how to pop out the old ones and insert the new ones. It is super easy. :) Don't be scared.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you get them to do it for free... But chances are you can find it cheaper elsewhere, and plenty of websites, including Apple, have detailed instructions about how to upgrade.

5. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

The problem with getting it done at the Apple store is they can't give you credit for the installed RAM that came in the comp, so you end up paying more. ( And paying more for RAM from Apple is just CRAZY ).

Either use BTO online, or do the RAM upgrade yourself.