should I get my rMBP replaced??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitneyhu, Aug 17, 2014.

  1. whitneyhu macrumors newbie

    Aug 17, 2014

    The touchpad of my rMBP malfunctions from time to time, and one corner of it is quite loose, you can hear it clicking by gently putting your finger on it.

    I bought this macbook on 2012 summer, and its on apple care until July 2015.

    Will Apple replace my rMBP under this kind of circumstances? If so, should I?

    I am worried that the replacement will come in a poor quality.

    Thanks Guys,
  2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a


    Sep 26, 2004
    How does it malfunction?

    Take it to the Apple Store and have a Genius diagnose it. If they deem it a defect they will replace your upper case as the trackpad is buried beneath the battery. It is extremely unlikely they will replace your entire Mac.
  3. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
  4. uhslax24 macrumors 6502


    Jul 21, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
    In a circumstance like this, I would not expect a whole-unit replacement. It is likely that Apple will replace the top case (which includes the main portion of the unibody, the keyboard, trackpad, and battery) to address the issue.

    That is, unless this has happened repeatedly after several repairs.

    At least you'll get a new battery :)
  5. MCAsan macrumors 601


    Jul 9, 2012
    If already can't get much worse. Take it to the local store or call AppleCare.
  6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

    Nov 26, 2011
    They won't replace the entire unit unless you've had 3 repairs due to fairly major issues (basically display, power, or graphics related issues).

    In your case, they'll replace the top case since they come pre-built with the trackpad and keyboard attached. Too many tiny screws and parts to dig past to replace only the trackpad.

    I would suggest trying to record the issue on camera just in case the Apple Genius isn't able to replicate it. Besides that, it should be a pretty straightforward store visit :)
  7. whitneyhu thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 17, 2014
    Thanks Guys!


    I have had my display replaced once, because of flashing white lines issue.

    By the way, where is "the top case"?
  8. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

    Lucas Godfrey

    Jul 12, 2010
    Somewhere between Here and There
    the top case is the bit that has the keys and the trackpad on, the 'palmrest' if you like.
  9. whitneyhu thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 17, 2014
    ahhh I see. Didn't know it could be taken off
  10. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

    Nov 26, 2011
    Well Lucas already answered the question but yeah, you'll notice on the bottom of the computer where there are screws and you can see the seam. The part screwed onto the bottom is the bottom case and the sides with the ports and top with the keyboard and trackpad are all the top case. The technician would take the bottom off, Logic board and whatever other components there are, then remove the display and attach it all to a new top case.

    Even though you've had the display replaced once, it has to be at least three times, and for an issue as small as a trackpad they might not even replace the computer even if you did already have three repairs. Unfortunately we just don't get as lucky with Macbook replacements as we do with iPhone replacements :/
  11. thetechfixer macrumors 6502


    Apr 21, 2010

Share This Page