Should i get one from the USA?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by perry245, Mar 24, 2010.

1. perry245 macrumors member

Hi so i am thinking about buying an ipad but i don't want to wait until it comes out in the uk, so would i be able to buy one from ebay and would it be covered by apple's warranty, also would it all work the same.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, all Apple products come w/ a worldwide warranty. You would need a UK adapter plug of course -- not the a/c adapter itself, but the plug that goes from the wall to the adapter.

3. perry245 thread starter macrumors member

ok then cheers but if i just wanted to charge it using the same connection that i charge my iphone would that charge the ipad, also does anyone know were i can order one from apart of ebay

4. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

You mean USB? Just plug it into your computer.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are talking about the A/C adapter plug any travel store should have a generic U.S. to UK adapter. And if you have electronics stores (that is stores that sell electronic parts and accessories) they should have a cord you can just plug directly into the A/C adapter. Either should be under 10£ I would think. In the U.S. they are $4-8.

I don't think Apple sells them separately. You have to buy the entire travel kit or 2nd adapter.

6. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

You can also throw caution to the wind and order adapters, chargers, etc, from one of the super-cheap HK sites like DealExtreme. (I'm talking, like, $1.88 stuff.) However, results may be unpredictable.

7. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I think the only issue for the wifi is the 10w charging adapter. I think a basic adapter will fix that.

The 3g might be more complex since you might need a UK sim in addition to the adapter.

8. guycross macrumors member

There shouldnt be much of an issue, Apple usually release things with a worldwide adaptor for power (so you may just need to change the plug to a 3-pin) but most of us will just charge from our desktop or iPhone charger anyway!

As seems to be the case, I have written a full length blog about it

http://www.freeipadblog.co.uk/blog/2010/03/08/how-to-buy-an-ipad-in-the-uk-from-the-usa/

I think the most exciting thing is that if you can find 5+ people who want to ship one over too, you could fly to the states, buy them in a shop and bring 'em back - and save money!

g

9. bazzaric macrumors member

bazzaric

Good blog. You should however be looking for proof readers instead of writers :D

10. bazzaric macrumors member

bazzaric

Any decisions yet? I'm contemplating it too now :cool:

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

As it turns out, I most likely will go to New York this fall! I'm very much thinking about saving for an iPad and getting one there. So this thread is of much help for me as well.

12. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Sorry if this is the wrong place...but I'll be getting an extra 16 GB Wi-Fi if anyone wants to PM me.

13. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You realise it's going to take ages if you use the USB adapter to charge your battery?

And next to that there will be a lot of taxes (sales tax, import and export tax etc.).

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Why would it take ages to charge the battery via the adapter?

As for taxes, I'm pretty sure your allowed to take in one for personal use or am I wrong?

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Usb adapters are usually low current devices. I selected a now-discontinued Belkin model which has to USB ports. One is 1A and the other is 500ma. Their current models are only 500ma.

The reason I bought that was I had read online that it fully powers and charges the phone when running navigation apps. It does a very good job of that.