Should I get Parallels 8 now, or wait for Parallels 9?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by unknownfps, Jun 22, 2013.

1. unknownfps macrumors member

I'll be start going to college in mid-August and I need to run on Windows on some programs in courses I'll be taking.
    Parallels seems to release their updates every mid-September.
    I don't know if Parallels 9 will be worth waiting.
    In general, are the next Parallels update worth waiting for?
    There are so many cheap good deals on Windows 8 and Parallels right now, so I'm really confused on what to do without buyer's remorse!
    Also, should I go for Windows 7 or Windows 8? I'm not going to use Windows on Mac for gaming, I already have a PC for that. I bought the Air for a specific reason.
    Thanks.

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Inline.

3. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Now

All this software is supposed to do is let you run windows on a mac...the new version is just a marketing effort as revenue is falling off and they can stimulate new revenue by coming out with 9. Save money and time and buy 8.

4. twintin macrumors 6502

Why not try out virtualbox first (it is free after all) before you pay for a VM ?

5. barrk macrumors member

I bought parallels 8 with windows 8 and it works just fine, not sure why you would wait for 9.

6. cosmos macrumors regular

cosmos

One thing to keep in mind about getting version 8 vs. 9. Parallels usually drops development of past versions like a hot potato.

I cannot remember getting a software update after the next version has been released.

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Because Parallels 8 may not work with Mavericks.

8. barrk macrumors member

9. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

In my opinion, Parallels is crap. Go with VMWare Fusion instead. If you really need Parallels, just purchase the current version. It's useless just waiting around for a software update.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? And why is that? :confused:

11. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

From personal experience, Parallels is a resource hog compared to Fusion. It's slower and I don't like that Parallels displays ads when you launch it. I just paid money for a product. I don't need to see ads.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok. Not sure where the resource hog issue comes from. I ran Parallels on my 2011 MBA just fine. On this new one, it screams. And I am not sure what ads you are referring to. Parallels 8 (at least my copy) has no ads.

What it does have is one heck of an ability to run VMs...

Attached Files:

13. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

I'm glad it's working out for you. I had bad experience with their products and the ads are a known issue. Stuck with Fusion and works great.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm putting in a second vote for Virtualbox. It's free and does most of the same things Parallels does. I currently use it to run Windows on my iMac at work and never had a problem.

Obviously being free, there are some limitations. Virtualbox is behind the curve compared to Parallels when it comes to intensive graphics, and dragging and dropping between the host and VM instances (though shared virtual drives make up for this).

I would give it a shot and see if it works for you. If not, then consider Parallels 9 when it comes out, or VMWare.

15. TC25 macrumors 68020

Some people just get a bug up their butt about a product then think they have to bad mouth it whenever they can.

Parallels runs fine and checking the 'Don't show again' box solves the so called 'ad problem'.

16. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Actually, it doesn't, at least not with Parallels 7. Even after checking that box, I do occasionally get ads on start-up to upgrade to 8.

It's a little annoying, but considering how convenient Parallels is otherwise to me, it's not a deal breaker.

As for whether or not the OP should wait for 9, if you can afford to wait, just wait, there's no harm in that I suppose, although you do take the risk of bugs and the like.

As for the guy who posted that link about Parallels 8 supporting Mavericks, well, it supports running a Mavericks VM, not actually running Mavericks, and that's not a clean install from just Mavericks (you have to "upgrade" to it). That being said, if I remember right, users have found ways to get Parallels 8 to work under Mavericks beta, but initially, there were problems.

Like I said, if you can afford to wait, just wait, Mavericks compatibility will almost assuredly be a selling point for 9. If you fall into the update windows, you could also try buying 8 in August too (assuming it comes out in Sep.)

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

i saw this on another post.

defaults write com.parallels.Parallels\ Desktop ProductPromo.ForcePromoOff -bool YES

Type that in terminal and see if that takes care of this "problem".

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You have Virtual Box, Parallels 8 and VMware Fusion 5. My suggestion would be to do a comparison between them and pick which will best suit your needs.

Parallels can be had with other bundled apps at same price as Fusion alone. If cost is an issue then go with Virtual Box. Nothing better than free.

I have tried all 3 programs and all will work. It is a matter of what your requirements are going to be. I did end up using Parallels and have never had an issue with it. Never seen the ads either as has been noted.

No sense in waiting to purchase either. If you need it now, get it.

19. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

When Parallels 8 was released there was a cheap upgrade to it if you had parallels 7. There was also a very large price drop in parallels 7 when parallels 8 was released.

20. johnjey macrumors regular

Can you PROUDLY vouch that you have a DECENT 7+ hours of battery life on your 11' inch 2013 i5 or i7 Air with Parallels running? I don't think so

----------

hahahhahah...lmfao....hahahha..rofl.....bug up their butt...haha ...thnx for saying that to whoever you said it to...lol

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So it was the battery we were talking about? Sorry, resource hog and battery to me mean different things. But no, the only thing I have done battery only is play Civ 5 (Mac version) and I could only get 3 hours doing that. I haven't tried doing 7 hours (or 12) of anything, as I plug into power any chance I get.

So I infer from what you are saying that someone has done a battery torture test of Parallels and VMWare and found VMWare to be significantly more "battery friendly" than Parallels? That sounds fishy to me.

22. johnjey macrumors regular

No, i didn't go that route of comparisons, nor did i vouch for Vmware Fusion win here over Parallels, all i was saying was that these virtual machine programs are a battery killer

23. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

VMWare > Parallels.

I think both offer a free trial so give each one a spin. In my experience VMWare performs better, is cheaper, no ads, and no stupid tweet/facebook buttons.

24. TC25 macrumors 68020

Parallels > VMWare

Works better and the user community is filled with people who actually know how to use the product and they don't bash VMware.

25. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems with ads. The Parallels team couldn't be more hopefully and their product has work great for 4 years.