Should I get rid of old computer to get a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KadMac, Sep 13, 2009.

1. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

Hello fellow Mac fans! I am new to the forums and I wanted to get pick your brains on something I have been trying to figure out.

I am thinking about purchasing a new computer and I have always had my eye on a Mac but I have always been nervous about the switch from PC to Mac (I am use to building my own computers). Well, I think I am about ready for the switch but I wanted to see what you all think about my old computer's performance in comparison to the Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ Core Duo 15".

Right now I have a PC computer which I built myself back in the day. Please see specs below:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    2 GB DDR 400 (3200)
    GeForce 6800 Video Card

Obviously the processor and ram in the Macbook Pro will blow my old hardware away but what about the video card? I am nervous about the GeForce 9400M integrated card in comparison to my dedicated video card that I have now. Will the GeForce 9400M out perform my dedicated GeForce 6800 video card when it comes to gaming?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you enjoy building your own computers why not try making a hackintosh?

I went from a gaming pc to a MacBook and found I missed gaming too much so I brought a 360 so I get the best of both worlds!

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL! the 6800 will be NOWHERE near as good as the 9400M. its not even funny how old that card is.

+1 for hackintosh (unless you want portability - in that case go for the Mac lappy).

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm going to say -1 for the hackintosh because people tend to have problems with them. If your getting your first mac you dont want the experience tainted.

Just grab the MBP. Itll be loads faster then what you have. I just got a new one myself :)

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

There are several Häkkentosh guides on InsanelyMac for making a regular notebook run OSX. Don't know about 10.6, though, although I'm thinking about making my Precision run 10.5. (mmm... renders).

AFAIK, an i7 (LGA 1366) system really only needs a bootloader to install OSX from a retail Leopard DVD. Problems arise with Core2 and all the chipsets spammed for it.

However, a Macbook will pwnz your current system. The 9400M chipset isn't the best, but it beats the older Intel chips, IMO.

And I'm sure your current system can be relevant. Shove OpenSolaris on it for a future RAID ZFS (helps to have SATA in this case).

7. KadMac thread starter macrumors regular

KadMac

Perfect, thanks for the suggestions. I have thought about building a Hackintosh and I have seen many threads on it. I think I want my first Mac experience to be fresh though where I don't have to work out any possible kinks.

And thanks, DoFoT9, I am glad to know that the 9400M is better. Yeah, my computer is like 5 years old right now so I thought it might be lagging in multiple areas. :)

One other question I have is - how do things work with the Macbook Pro and sound stereos. I was at a wedding reception tonight and I saw the DJ had a Macbook Pro with his sound system setup. Do all the cords just plug in through the headset port?

The reason I ask this is because I have a nice soundcard in my desktop and I would hate to lose my 5.1 surround sound setup.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes im afraid its lagging in every area if its that old lol. the new laptop will feel like you are living again :D

for surround sound you will need to have an interface such as USB or FireWire (MBs dont have FW but). the headset port supports 2.1 output and digital output (if you have something that does that). if you can do the USB method then you wont get true surround sound. (the sound coming out is GREAT though).

9. Whiteman007 macrumors member

He thnking about a MBP not macbook. doesnt all the MBPs com with firewire? And i just noticed that to get the 9600GT u need to get the 1999$ modle in my opion that bs.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Both MB's and MBP's have firewire. MB's have firewire 400, MBP's have firewire 800. It was only the unibody MB's which apple no longer sell, unless it's a referb, that had no firewire.

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Ah i used to have a hp desktop with a AMD Athlon 64 3400+ about 4 years ago, the MBP will be much faster for you :)

12. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

There is no 2.4ghz model unless you plan on buying clearance or refurb in which case it also has the 9600M GT which is a dedicated graphics card.

13. KadMac thread starter macrumors regular

KadMac

Yes, I actually plan on using the refurb Mac located here.

So what would I be using the firewire for with the Macbook Pro in regards to connecting it to a surround sound stereo system? Does the firewire help connect it to a receiver of some kind?