Should I get snow leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trackforlife7, Nov 13, 2010.

1. trackforlife7 macrumors newbie

I'm still using leopard, is there a point of me getting snow leopard? Just to have a faster computer and more memory?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Assuming you have an Intel processor, Snow Leopard is a decent update. The OS footprint is smaller since it only includes Intel code.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes. For the same reasons old-wiz said and that if you do have an Intel based Mac, it will likely be faster as well. I just upgraded a girlfriends Macbook the other week from Leopard to Snow Leopard and she reports back that it is noticeably faster than it was before.

4. rwdebes macrumors 6502

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why? 10.7 (Lion) won't even be available till next summer and even then it's wise to wait for at least the first update like 10.7.1 so that you don't get bitten by early bugs.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

At $30 for the upgrade, the question shouldn't be "Why should I upgrade" but "Why should I not upgrade". You'll get a faster, smaller system that's more up-to-date.

Provided you have an Intel Mac, I'd do it, no question. If you don't have an Intel Mac, you can't anyway.

7. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I personally wouldn't, there is a boost in performance, but nothing substantial.. better off waiting for Mac OSX Lion. Its going to be available next year summer, you could always pay $30 now, but I'd rather save the $30 and spend it on OSX Lion.. :p

8. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Snow Leopard is the best OS I have ever used. Ever. So it's up to you...

9. wonderbutt macrumors member

Don't do it. Wait for Lion. I have Leopard on my iMac and everything is cool
    On my 2 month old MBPro, Snow Leopard is junk. Buggy, broken apps, etc.
    I have this awful issue where all of a sudden, ALL OS X apps, the bundled stuff, and Widgets, System PRefs, etc, will NOT WORK and I have to restart.
    That's pathetic.
    And it's not only me.
    SO if you want to avoid this, AVOID Snow Leopard.

10. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I waited until just a week or so ago to finally update my Mac Pro to Snow Leopard. My only issue was with an old LPR print server but a quick reconfiguration fixed it. Other than that everything still "just works."

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Have you tried reinstalling SL? If not, then obviously the problem isn't too bad (since you haven't done anything about it). Sometimes you just get a bad install or a weird conflict. While you're not the only one, your experience is an extremely small percentile (I'm willing to bet less than 1%). The vast majority of people are having no problems at all.