Should I get SSD Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CharlesCrowder, Jul 13, 2014.

1. CharlesCrowder macrumors newbie

Hello.

I'm thinking of buying a new MacBook for school. I've come to the conclusion that I should get either the MacBook Air 13" or Retina MacBook Pro 13".
    In either case I definitely want the specs to be: 8GB Ram and 256 GB SSD Drive.

However:

During my research I've come across a lot of articles saying that you should be aware of 'how to use' a SSD drive in order to 'make it last as long as possible', and that you should write as little data as possible to it.
    How big of a deal is this really?

Since I'll be using my MacBook for school I obviously need to do a lot(!) of text editing, which means a lot of writting to the disk (since I'll be opening the same document several times and edit it). I'll be using it for light video (iMovie) and audio (GarageBand) editing as well.

After reading all these articles on the SSD Drive I'm thinking if it's better to just stick with a HDD Drive (the non-Retina MBP)?

Please help me out here guys.
    Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

One thread per issue does suffice.

As for that writing issue, they talk about TBs of data, you will hardly write those with text files or music.

3. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

SSDs are awesome nowadays, much much better than first generation SSDs that most articles are referring to. No way you will notice a SSD slow down after "a lot(!) of text editing", no way.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Unless you write terabytes of data to it daily, it'll last for over 7 years, far longer than the lifespan of the MacBook itself.

5. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Most Apple computers and Thunderbolt Drives are with SSD's now.

For example, a PRO user with a nMP who does 4k video editing writes a lot of data to the disk ; if the SSD we're bad, Apple would not use them in heavy duty machines.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

All mechanical spinning HDs crash.....it is only when not if. A new Macbook with a HD these days is an anachronism. Get a Retina Macbook Pro if possible.

Tips for saving a few bucks:
    • Use a student ID to make the purchase and save a some money.
    • Do the student purchase on your state's tax free weekend (here that is there first weekend of August)
    • Look at the price list at AppleInsider to see if you get a lower price from MacMall, B&H, or other company via the internet. Watch for any company trying to collect sales tax (like Amazon). http://prices.appleinsider.com
    • Look at refurbished units from Apple. They come with full warranty and are eligible for AppleCare. If you get one, order it on tax free weekend otherwise Apple will likely collect sales tax.http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I hope some of that helps.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is a non-issue for the type of usage you described. That SSD will still be running long after the rest of the computer has died. Just use it and don't worry.

See the chart below from this article.

[​IMG]

Your SSD uses MLC NAND chips, so at 10GB writes a day will last about 70 years.

Also read this test.

8. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Over the past 5 years, I've used around 5 SSDs and 10+ HDDs (multiple systems). I've experience 5 HDD crashes (God bless WD RMA) but 0 SSD failures.

Go with the 13" rMBP. 2.6GHz / 8GB / 256GB should be a good build (I got it for my father).

Raptor

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Shouldn't be a concern at all. Get the Air or retina and enjoy it without reservation.