Should i get the 11inch macbook air or wait for the new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by angel.mariano, Feb 14, 2015.

  1. angel.mariano, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

    angel.mariano macrumors newbie

    angel.mariano

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2015
    Location:
    Miami,FL
    #1
    Good afternoon. I sent my old surface to my family in Cuba. And i have no computer now. Im in need of one. But i am not sure if i should just go ahead and get the 11 inch macbook air ( 1149.00) with 8gb of ram ,1.7 intel core i7 and 128 hard drive. Or wait for the new refresh( according to rumors ) Should be announced feb 24. Thanks in advance.
     
  2. viorelgn macrumors 6502

    viorelgn

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2013
    Location:
    Romania
    #2
    I suggest holding off for just a while longer, since a new MacBook Air is most likely right around the corner. The last time that the MacBook Air received an updated was back in April of last year, when it received a slight processor boost and a permanent $100 discount on all models. It wasn’t a significant refresh for the thinner notebooks, but the drop in price was a huge deal. Now, as we’re well into 2015, it’s almost time for another MacBook Air update, only this time we should expect a new MacBook Air earlier in the year, as rumors have pointed to an early 2015 release date for the new MacBook Air.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    I'd wait a few weeks to see what Apple may do.
     
  4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

    Ulenspiegel

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2014
    Location:
    Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
    #4
    Hola Angel,

    I second Mike Flynn's view. I would wait some weeks to see what is the updated Air about. Then you can decide, comparing the models and the prices.
     
  5. RAPTORSKI macrumors regular

    RAPTORSKI

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    Location:
    British Columbia
    #5
    wait if possible

    I would wait if I were you. New design will probably have some nice changes.
     
  6. Yamrider macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    #6
    I'm in the market for a laptop. I don't need it until mid April so I'm waiting on the rumoured refresh and hopfully price drop. Got to say though, it's harder than i though holding fire on pressing that 'add to cart' button !
     
  7. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Location:
    Norway
    #7
    My "now or later" or "now or never" problem

    I am now almost pressing the "add to cart" button for MBA 11", for I want not to miss the opportunity of buying the present 11" model, with my wanted specs. The only thing that holds me back is the sub-optimal screen.

    Waiting to late February for the possible upgrad is risky, however, as I am afraid that the upgrade will be the 12" model, which I am not certain that I will like, and that perhaps also that the present MBA 11" not will be available any longer from Apple after 24rd February? Any thoughts about the risk for the MBA 11" not being available suddenly?

    Or what about the upgrade being a (minor) enhancement of the present 11" model, just a bit faster - or perhaps (not likely?) a better screen, otherwise the same physical footprint?
     
  8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

    pasadena

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Location:
    Socal
    #8
    I would wait. The latest rumors are saying something will happen on Feb 24th. Either they refresh the current line, which means a (slightly) better computer for the same price or less, or they get the retina out. If that happens and you don't want it, that will still allow you to get the current one for cheaper than it is now.

    Since that's only in 10 days, unless you really can't live without it, it's worth waiting. At worst, nothing happens and you only had to wait 10 days.

    OR the sneaky version - buy it now from Apple, and when the refresh comes, exchange it if you're still within the 30 days return period.
     
  9. dave343 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2014
    #9
    14 day return policy... I think.
     
  10. HalfLife macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2015
    #10
    I'm not for abusing anyone's return/exchange policy but if Apple on the 24th refreshes with more then just the CPU, I might exchange mine also. A minor bump in CPU, I don't think I would exchange, but if they made the base model 256GB or upped the ram to 8Gb then I might do it. And if the 12" Retina get's pushed out, most definitely.
     
  11. pasadena macrumors 6502a

    pasadena

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Location:
    Socal
    #12
    Correct. No idea why I had 30 days in mind. Thanks for the correction.

    ----------

    I'll add that OP wants a built-to-order MBA, which is currently available in "4 to 6 days" before shipping. That means it would be delivered at best a couple of days before the refreshed version, if that happens on the 24th. All the more reason to wait.
     
  12. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #13
    I have $1500.00 11" MBA dollars in big bills taunting me like the dickens every minute of everyday. I am not going to cave! And you don't need to either. Soon come.
     
  13. tmarks11, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

    tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #14
    If past history shows us anything, the announcement for the next generation will result in price cutting of the current generation to clear inventory.

    So you should wait, if you don't like the new offerings, you will still have the opportunity to buy the previous generation at a discount. You can also snap up a good deal on a lightly used model on eBay, as there are a lot of Apple fan[atics] who will be selling there 11 month old model so they can upgrade to the latest...

    Rumor is just an upgrade to Broadwell for the MBA11 and MBA13, no other changes. Which could mean Core-M, which according to all reports is not much of a performance bump (some call it is a performance drop), although you get better battery life. The upgraded models would probably have the Broadwell-U i5 and i7.

    My bet is the base 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM will continue to be the low end offering.

    The MBA r12 will be the winner, but I am guessing that is not going to squeak in for $899...
     
  14. HalfLife macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2015
    #15
    I thought I read the 12" was suppose to be shipping with Core-M since it'll be fan-less, and thinner, while the refresh would stick with the performance parts...?
     
  15. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

    joshlalonde

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2014
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    Anything you've heard so far is all rumors. Just wait a bit longer, however, because it seems that something may soon happen. Though, I would have thought that Apple would send out invitations to some event.
     
  16. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2014
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #17
    I just bought an 11" with 8gb RAM, because of various personal reasons, but one of those reasons is the risk that the update doesn't allow me to buy an 11" in that configuration.

    I got bitten by the 2014 Mac mini update which forced me to run to the store to get a 2012 model and I missed out on the 2.6 i7 processor.

    I'm not interested in the 12" retina until future iterations, when I'm sure it will become a great laptop.
     
  17. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Location:
    Norway
    #18
    This is just what I also fear the most!

    In my earlier post (take a look above at post #7), I intended to give an expression of just this same fear of not being able - after Feb. 24 - to any longer to buy a similar specified MAC 11" from Apple.

    On the basis of earlier updates, is it then possible that in a sudden no more special built MAC 11" (present footprint, with 16:9 aspect ratio) will be available from Apple? How big is this risk, do you think?
     
  18. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2014
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #19

    Like people have said above we're just going off rumours so no one really knows.

    However, for me the outcome could go in one of two ways:

    1. We see the range kept identical apart from the processor change to Broadwell U.

    2. They change the current lineup in addition to adding the rMBA.

    If they do change the lineup, then it could mean the 11" goes all together, or you can't spec it how you wish.

    For me getting an 11" new as a CTO and cheaper than a refurb was a no brainer. It really depends on pricing where you are and how badly you need a new machine right now.
     
  19. angel.mariano thread starter macrumors newbie

    angel.mariano

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2015
    Location:
    Miami,FL
    #20
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424007622.391281.jpg
    Thank you for the comments. I decided to go ahead and buy the current macbook air . I just didn't want to loose the opportunity to buy it from the apple store, since i don't like buying from third parties, or resellers, and apple I'm sure will take it off the website once the new one comes out. I think i got a good configuration, all i do is emails, browse the internet and documents .
    Thank you again :).
     
  20. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #21
    I meant that the base models ($899 for MBA11) would be Core-M, with the an upgrade to Broadwell-U available for an additional $200. Pure speculation.

    MBA r12? I suspect you are right about fan-less design and Core-M, with Apple's continued fanatical focus on THINNER-IS-BETTER. Something has to go if they are going to make the next generation thinner; the fan might be that something.
     
  21. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #22
    You are a cave man!
     
  22. gpspad macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2014
    #23
    I have a feeling if you don't need a the latest, there will be some good deals on MacBooks coming.
     

Share This Page