Should I get the 120 GB Classic??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Baumer582, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Baumer582 macrumors member

As the title suggests, I'm debating whether or not to get the new classic iPod. I currently own a 16GB iPhone 3G for gym/on the go music; and an older 30 GB iPod video for longer trips and when I plan on being away from a charger for the phone..

I have about 50 GB of music/video, so that rules out the Nano, and in owning the iPhone I have no need for a Touch.

Would you guys go ahead and get the 120 GB? I have a strong feeling that this will be the last classic, as Apple seems to be phasing out the old HDDs and bringing in flash based memory and Touch screen hardware. I think eventually there will be a 64 GB Touch next year, a 128 GB the year after, and so on, but I'd don't want to wait 2 years before a new iPod has the right memory. Plus, like I said, I have an iPhone, and getting a Touch would be a waste of money..

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

How much music do you like to carry/ How much music do you have in your itunes? I have a 30 gb ipod so I carry all my itunes music (16 gb) and just carry some video. I have about 150 gb of video so I have to move it around for different trips. My point is I may just keep my 30gb with all my music and keep managing my vids.

3. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, I have about 50 GB total of music/video, and that's not including what I may or may not download. I usually leave all my videos off unless I really want it with me. Plus, I like knowing all my music is in one place if I really want it outside my computer.

It's gonna be a game time call!

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

The classic isn't going anywhere. Buy what you want when you want it. In the unlikely event that Apple stops making the Classic (which wouldn't happen for at least a year since they just updated it) then you'd still be able to buy them through Apple's refurb store for several months after it was discontinued. But as I said, it's highly unlikely that the Classic is going to be discontinued in the next few years, so that shouldn't even enter your decision making process.

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Will all your music fit on the 30 gb? You still didn't answer my question but that's cool.

6. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry... Yes, all of my music fits on my 30 GB, but thats only if I have maybe 1 or 2 episodes of the Office on it. I think it comes out to about 25 GB of music.

I've had the 30 GB iPod since January of 2006, and the battery is shot, so I guess I'm looking to Macrumors to convince me to get the new one!

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Definitely get the 120. That way you can put a lot more video and still have some breathing room. I think the 120 will perform better than your 30 gb because it will not be so full. I like to carry all my music too. Oh, and the battery thing, Do It...

8. Baumer582 thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, a game time call.... If the screen looked like the new nano (the large album and the titles below it), i'd definitely be buying it. But we'll see. Maybe a firmware update can do that.

Thanks for the advice!!