Should I get the 13 or 15 inch retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dabearfan101, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Dabearfan101 macrumors newbie

I don't use any graphic programs such as coding or photoshop. I won't be playing any games on my laptop either. Mainly used for emails, web browsing, researching, and watching videos. I understand the price difference and spec difference between the 13inch retina vs the 15 inch retina. For my uses, which do you think would be better? I like the bigger screen on the 15, but i like the smaller form on the 13. Can't decide.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could also buy a baseline 11" MacBook Air and hook it up to an external display.

3. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

If you have a Apple store, Best Buy, MicroCenter, etc near you I would go and test out the different screen sizes. Personally I like 13" screens and think 15" big but that's just me. Some people where swear by the 15" and the added 1.7 - 1.8in of extra screen.

4. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

The eyes have it

Depends on how good your eyesight is, I'd have thought.

Thus for me now the 15 inch screen would be favourite. However, if I was choosing as the sharp eyed youth I once was, the svelte lines of the 13 inch would be more attractive.

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

13" MBPr with Windows 7 & Mavericks + 24" Dell Ultra-sharp Display = heaven

6. RianT macrumors member

RianT

I have horrible eyesight and I don't have a problem working with 13" laptops. I find the 15" a bit too big and clunky... If I want a bigger screen I usually hook it up to my 24 inch display. But if you're not gonna carry it around much and don't have (and don't want to buy) an external monitor, 15" is the better choice.

7. Kaenon macrumors regular

I am typing this on the 13" I just bought, and I am now contemplating getting the 15".

The 13 is very small and light which is nice, but more screen real estate would be good imo as well. The retina display while good, makes some things smaller and I need to zoom the pages.

8. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Go 15" if funds allow. The portability difference is truly minimal, while allowing for a better overall experience (bigger screen, more processing power, more comfortable to type on).

9. Anitramane macrumors 6502

The 15” is not that much bigger and weighs like the 13” macbook pro from 2012.
    I’d go with that one and 16GB of ram. Go to an electronics store and poke around on the different models to see which one would fit you best.

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Will you primarily be using it on your lap, the couch, in bed, taking it around town, on airplanes, vacations etc.? I'd say 13"

If you're using it on a desk primarily, 15" is gonna be more enjoyable...

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only you can make that decision. You understand all the data points now it comes down to which machine do you ultimately want.

Why not go to an apple store and play with both to get a better feel of which model fits your needs the best.