Should I get the 250mb 3g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fruitytotheloom, Jul 5, 2010.

1. fruitytotheloom macrumors newbie

I'm going to get 3G for my iPad. My freind says I should get the cheapest version. But I want to know how long it lasts?:cool:

2. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

It lasts for 250MB. The period the data will be available for is 30 days.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

3G for wifi only iPad is even cheaper, $0. Ask yourself if you really need it. (My grandma lived to be 98, and never had 3G on an iPad. Of course, she never had an iPad either:(:(:().

I went with wifi only, no regrets.

4. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

My experience: 250MB is only doable if the vast majority of your usage is in a wifi environment. For example, if you don't have a wifi router set-up in your home and you plan to run the iPad primarily over a 3G network then 250MB will be very difficult to stay under for a 30 day period. I'm probably an average user, but when I first got the device I had no idea what 250MB would get me. I ran out on the 5th day. I wasn't streaming video or downloading lots of music files either. The MBs just slip away.

My advice: get the 3G if you want it to work everywhere (it's nice just in case), but rely on the speedier wifi for most of your tasks. And if you don't have wifi at home then think about getting it. It makes the iPad experience even better (IMHO).

5. fruitytotheloom thread starter macrumors newbie

I wil get the 250 for now.x

Most of the time I am in a wifi area . So it will do.:cool:

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I say get it for a month. If it isn't enough, get more. If you realize you don't need it, cancel it. There is no contract involved so it's no big deal if it isn't right for you.

7. MikeTemple macrumors member

MikeTemple

I don't know if this plan is available in the States (I am in the UK), but I just get 3G on days I am away from wi-fi. It's £2 (about $3) for 500MB for a day.

I only need it about a day a month, if I am away from work and home.

Also, when I went to Ireland for a few days, both hotels we stayed at in Dublin had free wi-fi, so I didn't need the 3G at all.

8. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

This is exactly the thing to do.