Should I get the 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vp719, Jul 17, 2008.

1. vp719 macrumors regular

I'm a college student and am thinking about investing in the iPhone. I go to a really big university so I'm away from my room for the majority of the day and last year I had to carry my MBP everywhere so I could stay connected between classes. It wasn't impossible, but sometimes inconvenient, and I think it'd really simplify things to have the iPhone. Only thing is, I'm not eligible for the lower price w/ ATT yet, so I'd be paying $499 (16 gig) for it, plus the extra $30/month for the 3G service.

So I was just wondering if everyone thought it'd be worth it to invest in the phone, or just stay with my current cell (no internet capabilities) and carry the MBP around this year again.

Thanks

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

if you have the money then go for it - you won't regret it

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Just get the gen 1 iphone. U can pick one up for about 150-200.

4. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Huh!? How does this make any sense when you can get the iPhone 3G for $199! Get the 3G.

5. gts197 macrumors regular

Please read his original post...

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

it all depends on how much he is willing and able to spend. A 1st generation iPhone that is unlocked could/would be much cheaper in the long run whereas the iPhone 3G is cheaper up front it costs more over the course of the two year contract.

Edit: Never mind - I forgot about the part where he isn't eligible for the upgrade...

7. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

My mistake.

8. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Smh @ people that dont read before they open their mouth.

9. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's input...looks like I'll be going in to ATT monday to place my order (10-21 days wait here).

Here's another question know -
    I was thinking about for day-to-day protection just getting Ghost Armor or BodyGuardz for the phone, then finding a really solid rugged case for when I'm traveling, backpacking, etc.
    Does that make sense? And anyone know which type of rugged case would be best for total protection?

Thanks again