Should I get the 5c/5s or hold out for the Iphone 6 next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pixelzombie, Nov 3, 2013.

1. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

I'm debating making the final jump away from using android. My phone's been pissing me off in spite of my love for text swiping. This would be my first time using the iOS system on a phone. Do I go for the ones that just came out or should I just wait for what comes out next year?

2. Ghostbusters macrumors regular

The fact that you asked this question means you are willing to wait another year for a new iPhone. So therefore you should hold out until the iPhone 6. Be warned you'll be asking the same question after the iPhone 6 launch, except to wait for the iPhone 6S.

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

get it now.

Yes, the next iPhone is less than a year away. but how frustrated will you be for that time? the iPhone 5S is a great phone. the "numbers" show it better than a lot of Android-based phones. You might have issues with how you're used to doing things in Android but once you switch and live with it, things will be better.

(I tested an S4 for a research firm and though it had potential the iPhones feel much smoother in action)

I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 and they are still going strong. (well, the home button on the iP4 is acting up) but the iPhones will last fine and the 5S is one that should last a long while. *that said work is buying me an iPhone 5S so though i could stay with the 4, I am upgrading.

4. neen1 macrumors newbie

5. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

I upgraded, and glad I did!

I upgraded from the 4S, and I'm glad I did! I bought an iPodTouch5 last year and thought I could skip this upgrade, but glad I didn't. I wanted a faster device, and if it would of came out with the A6 chip I would of waited. I love the Touch ID for logon and purchasing, the 5S is overall faster with the A7 chip and 64 bit, and hoping to make better use of the camera. Would of liked a Copper color, but went with the gold 64 GB.

6. pixelzombie, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

pixelzombie thread starter macrumors member

pixelzombie

Yea I might go with the 5s. What's annoying me with my S4 is similiar to S1 issues I had. The keyboard lags, the internet stops scrolling on certain pages, and most annoying is when I dial a number it does one of three things:

1-the screen flickers on and off while I'm trying to dial
    2-dialing a number and being kicked out of the entire dial pad
    3-constantly butt dialing even with the screen locked because there's a button for ICE contacts. (although not sure if this is going to happen with iphone)

7. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Why limit yourself?, do both.

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Honestly, I've come from android to iOS with an ip4 and I'm never looking back!

Got my 5c yesterday and i don't regret it one bit! Lovely phone to use and it looks truly unique!

Fast as foo!!

9. iWeekend macrumors regular

I have never pocket dialled with an iPhone.

10. Madhawk macrumors regular

Madhawk

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

With an S4 I'd wait for the 6. It sounds like to me your phone as issues. I'd try a full reset and it that didn't cut it a different ROM, preferable ASOP since it's available and see if that straightens out the issues.

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Sounds like you have a faulty phone. In addition to the 4S and the 5, I've had the GS2, GS3, and GS4, and have never had any of those issues.

That being said, if you are pissed off with your phone now, why wait another year? Get the 5S

13. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

There is always something newer and better just around the corner with tech items, but if you wait for the next best thing coming out, you will always be waiting. I guess that's my way of saying get it now.

14. pixelzombie thread starter macrumors member

pixelzombie

Gonna go for it...Thanks for the advice everyone!

15. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I don't have enough money to buy phones every year. I don't even have the luxury to buy a new phone every two years. I would rather donate $200 to the Honduras Foundation than splurge on a new phone.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Useless comment.

Wait for the 6. the 5S is not a very good upgrade from the S4. I would try getting a replacement for the S4. My sister has it and its an awesome phone.

17. z06gal macrumors 6502

Most carriers offer no contract plans now (Verizon Edge) so you can easily go from the 5s to the 6 if you desire ;)

18. pixelzombie thread starter macrumors member

pixelzombie

For my first iphone and the fact I'm trading in, selling my mini ipad and not paying full price for it, I think I'll be alright with the 5s....I'm so over the android system.

Neither do I. That's why I trade in and get the phone discounted from my carrier. And if I wait two years, it's a deeper discount and sometimes free. I used to upgrade every two years.

19. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I am glad you have your own opinion:D

20. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Why can't u just buy the phone when it comes out sell it next year and buy the new one that's what I do phones are cheap enough to do that it's not a mac

21. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You need strangers on a forum whom you do not know to hold your hand for you ? Make up your own mind for crying out loud.

22. pixelzombie thread starter macrumors member

pixelzombie

Aww someone not have their nap time? Now you can't hold my hand any more!

Sorry but not going to apologize for wanting an opinion on something because some asshat wants to single me out.

23. jdaniel macrumors 65816

24. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Well whatever you decide to do, just know this - the iPhone 5s runs circles around the S4 performance wise. But the small size of the phone will be a bit shocking if you're used to a much larger device. I owned an S3 for a long time and am still struggling to adjust to having such a compact phone but I'm getting around to it. The 5s has ludicrous speed, a solid camera and great software so I'm happy with it but I do wish the phone was 4.5 to 5". We know Apple is experimenting with larger displays for upcoming iPhones so it might not be a bad idea to wait it out.