Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I buy the Apple Care program?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I'll be a freshman at college next year and was wondering it would be worth it to drop $250 for the 3 yr. Apple Care program. I'm pretty computer savvy (I'd like to think, but definitely not an expert), so for some problems I'm able to solve by myself or just finding an answer online, etc.

So do you think it would be beneficial or not to purchase the plan?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The good news is that this subject has been discussed repeatedly in dozens of threads in the forums, so you can get a much faster response if, before starting a new repetitive thread, you'll first use this link to search the forums to see what has already been discussed. If you don't find your answer there, let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
I'll be a freshman at college next year and was wondering it would be worth it to drop $250 for the 3 yr. Apple Care program. I'm pretty computer savvy (I'd like to think, but definitely not an expert), so for some problems I'm able to solve by myself or just finding an answer online, etc.

I would get it. Just not right away - you can wait until your one year warranty is about to expire and then purchase AppleCare

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Buy it on eBay because it will only cost $200. If your Logic Board dies, a repair will cost over $400 after shipping and tax. It just makes sense to buy it because most issues that you will have, you will never be able to fix.

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
The good news is that this subject has been discussed repeatedly in dozens of threads in the forums, so you can get a much faster response if, before starting a new repetitive thread, you'll first use this link to search the forums to see what has already been discussed. If you don't find your answer there, let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

Didn't click your link but it definitely doesn't seem like it would route me to the forum's search engine...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Didn't click your link but it definitely doesn't seem like it would route me to the forum's search engine...

It does. It enables you to use Google to search the forums, which provides much better results than using the "Search Forums" field. It's a very popular tool here.

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
I think it is a pretty wise investment, but do remember that it only it doesn't cover accidental damage. I do quite a bit of computer repair work and people keep asking me about this when they come to me with broken MacBooks and I have to remind them..spills, drops, and other accidents are NOT covered!

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast

I would say yes. I have it on all my Mac Laptops

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Um...... ignorance? (in the purest definition... uninformed!) :D

I'm gonna vote NO... cause this kid obviously knows enough about his Mac not to need Apple's professional technical assistance if something should fail, once the warranty expires - he is after all "computer savvy"

Then again...

I don't have AppleCare for my MBP. I have something (in my opinion better!) comes in the form of "Notebook/Laptop Insurance" which covers against hardware failures, theft and accidental damage. I'll get a replacement system of the latest specs should anything happens... covers everything but the data!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, I'm not going to pass judgement because someone's young and inexperienced.... we all started out young once (although I'll be damned if I can remember back that far!:D) I guess he just missed the point I was making, that searching the forums before starting a new thread is a good thing to do, especially with a subject that's been discussed dozens of times by hundreds of posters. There's nothing new to learn by starting the discussion all over again.

By the way, I majored in computer science in college (yes, they had college back then! of course, CS was all about mainframes at the time!), hoping to learn everything there was to know about computers. The most valuable thing I learned after decades in the industry was, you can't learn it all! That's why the wise man recognizes he has two ears and one mouth, and uses them in that proportion! :cool:

kingshrubb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
I'm not getting Apple Care with my MBP. From what I've heard, consumer reports recommends not purchasing extended care plans because the product usually breaks after the extended warranty expires. Up to you but I'd rather save the 200 or so $ :)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I'm not getting Apple Care with my MBP. From what I've heard, consumer reports recommends not purchasing extended care plans because the product usually breaks after the extended warranty expires. Up to you but I'd rather save the 200 or so $ :)

Well, that's entirely up to you!

Buying it would give you peace of mind, just in case something should happen - however, if you or anyone attempts to modify the system, it'll become pointless and a complete waste of money.

Having a alternative would be wise! Personally, I don't keep a system long enough to invest in additional warranty, that's usually tied to that one machine. Where as with insurance, i just inform the company i have a new machine, give them the serial number and hey presto, the new system is covered. :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well, that's entirely up to you!

Buying it would give you peace of mind, just in case something should happen - however, if you or anyone attempts to modify the system, it'll become pointless and a complete waste of money.

Having a alternative would be wise! Personally, I don't keep a system long enough to invest in additional warranty, that's usually tied to that one machine. Where as with insurance, i just inform the company i have a new machine, give them the serial number and hey presto, the new system is covered. :)

Not everywhere is so convenient as Japan. ;)

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
Hi, Forgive the stupid question, but if I'm a huge "do it yourselfer" when it comes to anything that plugs in, what is the major difference between going to the genius bar and apple care? They will look at it for you for free and basically tell you what to do. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what BIG things does this cover?

I'm just an accountant trying to save $ ;)

Edit: Long live Consumer Reports!!!

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Hi, Forgive the stupid question, but if I'm a huge "do it yourselfer" when it comes to anything that plugs in, what is the major difference between going to the genius bar and apple care? They will look at it for you for free and basically tell you what to do. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what BIG things does this cover?

I'm just an accountant trying to save $ ;)

Going to the Genius Bar will simply tell you what is wrong. AppleCare will cover the cost. So you go in to the Genius Bar and find out that repairs are going to be $300 or something of that nature. With AppleCare, Apple will replace the part. Without it you simply know the cost of the part + other charges.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I guess what I'm trying to ask is what BIG things does this cover?

There is only really one difference: After 1 year, you can go to the Genius bar either way, they will diagnose your problems and if it needs repair, the difference between AppleCare and none, is repair at no additional cost to you or you pay for the whole repair, respectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.