should I get the Apple in-ear headphones?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Flake, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

mine just broke so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get Apple's in-ears. or will they come out with something new soon?

2. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

No, Apple earphones are on par with skullcandies. (i.e, they are terrible)
    Buy a Sony or a Sennheiser.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Definitely not, the Apple in-ear headphones are abysmal. They are my least favorite headphones that I've used. Get a pair of Etymotic headphones, they are awesome and well worth it!

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I recommend Sony MDR xb22ip. Great sounding earbuds!

5. floh macrumors 6502

Previous posters have said it enough: Don't buy Apple earplugs!

If you want to spend a little more money (as I assume if you are thinking about the original Apple in-ears), you might consider the "Bose IE2". I have been using them for a few weeks now and am absolutely amazed by the sound quality and wearing comfort.

Be aware though that this is an open headphone, so you will hear most things around you (which is good and wanted for me). If you want closed plugs, you can go cheaper and get a decent sound. The "Sennheiser CX 200" were a fine choice for me when I don't care for my surroundings (like on a train or plane or such).

6. s1ns macrumors newbie

Not recommended. I bought them weeks ago they offer you a little improvement over the standard headphones
    bass are terrible fits are so so sometimes falls off my ears for some reason.
    However it does cancel a little bit of outside noises unlike the standard headphones. I bought them because of the mic and volume control buttons and it does fit with my iPhone bumper case.

7. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

No. You could get significantly better headphones for that price ($60, IIRC). The Klipsch S4 are extremely well recommended.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I'd actually say that even the low end Skullcandy Inks are better lol, especially low and mid wise. Apple headphones suck, the in-ears suck, what they charge for both is ridiculous. Far far better headphones available, ones mentioned in this thread are excellent, I mean they charge like $80 bucks for the in-ears. Same amount of money can buy you Klipsch Image S4s that blow the Apple in-ears away, nevermind cheaper options that are still better.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I have a pair and really like them, granted I'm not an 'audiophile'.
    The bass is slightly lacking but the mid-tones and highs aren't bad at all.

Each to his own I guess.

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have many earphones and headphones, including Apple's in-ear earphones. Frankly, I would get Sennheiser PX 200 II i, a closed seal headphones with iPhone compatible mic and remote.

That said, Apple's in-ear fairly pleasant performer, with airy neutral open sound with ton of details. Unfortunately, it is short on bass.

Unfortunately, a quality product it is not. The cord is very flimsy. Unless you baby this earphones, it won't survive a year. Ear caps fall out pretty easily and carrying case is worthless.

11. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Or a pair of Shures or Klipsch, for that matter.

12. jomarr macrumors member

I recommend the SoundMagic E10. It's around 40 USD and has great sound quality

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Very easily indeed. And getting replacements is a pain.

They also use the standard iPod headphone rubber that disolves on contact with air.

Phazer

14. Chi-mex macrumors member

Skull candies are amazing.

I would recomend these if you want to get over ear. They have killer bass and are way batter and cheaper than Beats.
    If you want to go in ear check out teh 50/50 earbuds

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Personally I like the Bose ones more. I like the sound and think the fit is the most comfortable in all headphones I have tried. For only $100, the price isn't all that bad either.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Virtually everyone in this thread has been of the opinion that Apple's in-ear headphones are dismal; I agree.

A number of people have recommended the Bose IE2 (have had them, they're pretty good) and the Sennheiser CX 200 - which are also pretty good. If you are willing to pay a good bit more, try Shure: they are very good indeed.

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Nice try putting your "affiliate" id links, only recommending them b/c you get paid :rolleyes:

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Skullcandys are certainly not amazing. They're pretty good for their price usually, but most certainly not amazing, especially compared to other brands.

19. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Look at his links, just trying to promote his affiliate id to get paid on them :rolleyes:

20. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Nope, they suck. I bought one pair of them and then they quickly fell apart. Sound quality aint that good.

21. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

What pair did you buy?

I've had three pair of Ink'd and I have never had a problem except for one of them breaking (it went through the washer twice and lasted a couple months afterward).

22. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I mustve got a bad batch then. It was the before the current ones, it came in a square box, with round corners.

23. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I agree, I've had a pair of Skull Candy Inks for the past year, no problems and I'm hard on those headphones between the gym and travelling. They've been dropped, pulled, you name it... no issues. I have Klipsch S4's as well but use the Skull Candies for the gym or running or out door work etc. Pry the best 10 bucks I've ever spent lol.

24. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I'm not sure if they had it back then, but they offer a full warranty on all of their products, and a 50% off coupon for accidental damage. I would've told them about the broken pair, but I wouldn't be saving any money versus buying a new pair from eBay.

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Build quality of the Apple in-ears is poor. I went through two pairs and they both suffered from weak cabling which led to one of the monitors dying. I was careful with them but they fell apart with light use ... not recommended.