Should I get the Apple Remote?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I'm thinking about getting it since I'm going to the Apple Store in a few hours... I do listen to a lot of music, and want to give front row a try. If you have one, do you find it useful? I'm curious as to why Apple stopped including them in their notebooks.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well you can use Front Row without having the remote, just press +Esc on your keyboard. The remote doesn't unlock any special functions of the software.

3. atluten macrumors 6502

Alternatively, if you have the 2.0 firmware on your iPod Touch you can just download the Apple Remote Application and use it to control iTunes and music playback. Cheers.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I find the apple remote very useful! Nice to be able to control front row from the couch or your bed. :) Plus if you're like me and make presentations, it's a very cool device to switch slides with. People are always impressed. If I had money to spend, I'll probably buy another remote.

5. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I own a remote from my Macbook Pro and it justs sits on my desk...I use my iPhone to control my music at my house because I always have my phone on me and I don't need line of sight in order to turn the sound up/down or change the song.

6. rvrugg90 macrumors member

You could consider buying a remote on ebay...saved me $5 ($14.00 shipped) Just find a seller with good feedback and make sure its new and sealed. Makes the remote a better deal in my opinion (although $19 isnt that expensive lol)

7. BileGhost macrumors member

I only got my MacBook at the start of this year, and it came with a remote. I find it useful for parties, as I have a sterio connecting cable, and I can use the remote to control the music.

8. rubberball macrumors newbie

Save yourself $9 plus tax or shipping and just get the $10 firmware upgrade.

For me one less remote to lose because I always know where my Touch is!

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You dont need it. I never use it, dont waste your money.

10. effer macrumors member

I can see the reason why you might want a remote for a 24" display that is across the room, but it's kind of silly for a notebook.

11. MattKanzler macrumors member

I like my remote for laying on my bed and watching DVDs in college

12. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I use my remote all the time. Front Row is great, but I use my MBP as an alarm clock with Awaken, and the remote functions as the snooze button. I love it.

13. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, as someone else already said, if you have the 2.0 thing on you iPod Touch, just download the Remote App. I think if you want to spend the money on it, go for it. On second thought, since the 2.0 is only ten dollars and the Remote App. is free, you would actually pay less to do that; plus you'd then be able to download a whole bunch of other apps.

14. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

@ people recommending that the OP just use his iPhone

did you not hear? he wants an apple remote (you know, the little white thing). the apple remote, and remote app have almost nothing in common. one controls front row, the other controls iTunes

*sigh*

the apple remote is great for watching movies/tv on an iMac...but admittedly i only use it with my laptop for the sake of using it

15. rubberball macrumors newbie

Please tell me how they are so vastly different Khan...

From Apple.com:

Summary
    Remote is a software application for iPhone and iPod touch that allows you to control audio and video playback in your iTunes library and on Apple TV. This article provides resources that explain how to setup Remote and troubleshooting issues that may arise. Remote can be downloaded from the iTunes Store using the App Store on iPhone or iPod touch as well as with iTunes on your Mac or PC. For information on the features of Remote, visit www.apple.com/itunes/remote/.

It does the SAME thing... We know what the Apple remote is no need for the demeaning "he wants an apple remote (you know, the little white thing)" remark... If he was certain what he wanted, he would not be here.

16. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

*cough* *cough*

the iPhone remote handles front row? woooooow. i never knew that

as the OP emphasised front row in his post, i am staggered to find people recommending iTunes:confused:

17. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

i won my :apple:remote on ebay ($5:D) and i use it almost everyday

18. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I couldn't resist, and bought the remote yesterday. I already have the 2.0 firmware for my iPod Touch, but I find it easier to just carry the remote around with me rather than going through all of that hassle of turning on my iPod and syncing it with my iTunes every time that I want to use it. Plus, the iPod Touch can't control front row. Overall it was worth it.