Should I get the current MacBook Pro, or wait for the 2012 Model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ranny2, Aug 8, 2011.

  1. ranny2 macrumors member

    Jan 9, 2011
    Hi everyone,

    I am faced with a dilemma as to what to do. I really want a MacBook Pro to replace my Windows laptop, however I am not sure whether to get the current 13" model in September (when I have enough money), or wait until early 2012, when the new model is due out.

    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  2. VeganHipster macrumors regular

    Jun 18, 2011
    Are you buying it for work or school? Or are you just buying because you want it, not because you need it? If you need it, go and buy it right now. We don't know what will change with the next update, so we can't recommend it or not recommend it, only thing known for sure is Ivy Bridge.

    Never play the waiting game with technology, because you will always lose. Buy now and enjoy it!
  3. Bonch macrumors 6502


    May 28, 2005
  4. Man9z0r macrumors regular


    Feb 25, 2011
    SLO, CA
    The first question I would ask is how bad do you need a new laptop. That can answer a lot.

    If you don't need it right away then I would wait but if Ivybridge is for sure which it seems to be then you might be waiting until April or May 2012.

    Honestly I don't think it is worth playing the waiting game. You could have a new computer for 8 months by that time. Once that one comes out they are only going to start the rumors about the next one.
  5. cmorda macrumors newbie

    Jul 26, 2010
    I went for it!

    I was upgrading from an iBook G4 that I used all the time and some windows machines. after a lot of consideration I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro 13". I got it for $1019 from the Apple website. It is amazing.

    I guess you could say I needed it. The iBook was (is) still working good but I needed to be able to run some windows apps for work, so I needed an Intel machine. Of course the speed of the i5 is super nice.
  6. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 9, 2011
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all your responses. Before posting this thread, I had pretty much decided on waiting for the refresh, however I think I have changed my mind.
    The current model is plenty fast enough, and I love the design, so the two things they are likely to change don't even affect me.
    Thanks again - it has been very useful. :)
  7. Marcus PM macrumors member

    Marcus PM

    Aug 9, 2011
    Because the refresh should be more than a few months out, I say take the leap. You'll be glad you did.
  8. ohlaya macrumors newbie

    Aug 10, 2011
    Hi everyone!
    I didn't want to create a new thread because my question is similiar.
    I am about to buy my first MBP, but it's not a must at this time, but I would like to know, when apple is releasing a new version of 2012? and do you think that 2011 version will be discounted? 2011 version is enough to me, but I want to save some money maybe if it's possible:)
  9. King Flamez1 macrumors regular

    King Flamez1

    Feb 27, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    not that many people if any, know the release, but its been 167 days since the previous update and the average days per refresh is 215. if u could wait a few months, then i suggest you do
  10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    Questions like this always tell me that the person doesn't need the machine at all. If what you have works for you and you want to spend your life chasing technology then wait. I bet the current gen fits your needs just fine.
  11. maril1111 macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2010
    Nobody knows it apart from the People working at Apple and yes the 2011 version will be discounted but not immediately and the discount tends to be very small so in most cases not worth it (at least where i live)
  12. aonali21 macrumors member

    Aug 2, 2011
    You should buy the current version and when 2012 version come then will buy that.....!
  13. r0k, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

    r0k macrumors 68040


    Mar 3, 2008
    I bought a Santa Rosa Macbook a few weeks before the Penryn models came out. Back then, Apple charged restocking which was still a lot less than the upgrades would have cost me if I kept my Santa Rosa Macbook. If you have a computer that works for you, sit back and wait for the specific release you want. If you don't have a computer that works for you, check MacRumors Buyers' Guide before buying. If it says "don't buy updates soon" or "buy only if you need it, near end of update cycle" you might want to hold off a month or two or consider a model that says "buy now, recently updated" or "neutral mid product cycle". In the attached screen capture, red lights are items that are due or overdue for updates, yellow are mid cycle and green are recently updated...

    Attached Files:

  14. iMav macrumors 6502


    Jun 20, 2008
    Columbus, WI
    I'm currently saving up for a new MBP. Sold my 11.6" MBA off a couple months ago and have been Mac-less for the first time in quite a while.

    My sanity needs a new MBP soon! :)

    I absolutely love the form factor of the 13.3" MBPs (and the MBs previously). I don't give a rat's rear about the thickness...but form factor is important (the 11.6" MBA was nice in this regard, but I thought with the hardware compromises, it should be offset with much more battery life).

    Anyways, I am considering the 15.4" MBP for the increased screen real estate and quad core (my laptop always serves as a mobile VM lab, so ram and CPU grunt are important). I'm just hoping I won't be cursing the thing the next time I am on a plane trying to use it on those tiny trays with the guy in front of me reclining back (almost snapped a MB screen that way).
  15. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Jul 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    sounds like you made your decision, OP

    the only reason to wait is because the MacBook Airs might be coming out in 15" and 17" versions with better processors

    Otherwise, I bought my MacBook Pro last year and it's AMAZING - still runs terrific and OS X Lion has just made it even more stable and faster

    You won't regret with any Apple purchases right now
  16. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2010
    new joisey
    i doubt there will be 15 and 17 macbook airs, if anything the mbp will be redesigned similarly to the macbook air form factor slightlly
  17. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2011
    I'd wait it out the new ones could have and or be...

    * 0.5lb lighter
    * 1/10 Inch Thinner
    * Liquid Metal Case
    * High-Res Display (Standard)
    * Bluetooth 4.0
  18. Athonline macrumors member

    May 11, 2011
    I agree. Maybe either drop the outdated optical drive in favour of cloud computing or go with Blu-ray, after all, all PC manufactures sooner or later started a dvd-to-bluray transaction. I vote that MBPs will start using SSD as standard, like MBA has as we got Thunderbolt for external massive hard drives (the ones we are still waiting for release :p).

    If the current MBP suits your needs in terms of performance and usability-ergonomics go for it! Try to get a max-out version (better reselling price) and eBay it in 2012 if you want a 2012 model that much by then.
  19. vitzr macrumors 68030


    Jul 28, 2011
    By all means wait.

    Lion is still being debugged & nothings more annoying than dealing with annoyances when you're trying to get something done. By waiting until they come preloaded with a well sorted out OS, your experience will be a lot more enjoyable.

    The longer you can wait, the happier you'll be.

    I know, I used to be an early adopter. Now no longer seeking instant gratification, the payoff is terrific.

Share This Page