Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
Should I get the DS Lite? Yes? No? My brother says the graphics suck compared to the psp. Pros/Cons? please tell and some games that make the dsl worth getting.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Any of the Mario games are great. Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Mario vs. DK March of the Minis, etc. The new Pokemon games came out last week. Brain Age is a lot of fun. Animal Crossing is better than the GC version. Metroid Prime is a great shooter.

As for the PSP, if you enjoy playing ports of PS2 and PS1 games, go for it. Otherwise, there really isn't too much out there for it. I traded my PSP in for a DS Lite and don't regret it for a minute.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh definitely get one. There's are killer games by the bucket load-

Final Fantasy 3- 3D remake of a game that apparently didn't make it over here. Very old skool. Very good art direction and music.
Metroid Prime Hunters- online FPS, think Halo or Unreal Tournament (as they're quite basic too). Disposable single player and pretty addictive multiplayer.
Kirby Canvas Curse- a new take on the platform genre, only uses the touchscreen. It's quite old now but I keep finding myself going back to it for the unlockables, of which there are mountains of 'em.
New Mario and Sonic Rush are apparently excellent returns for both games, though I find neither as good as their Mega Drive/SNES originals.
Tetris DS- online now. IMO the most immersive game. I have literally lost hours to this game without knowing, and missed my bus stop a fair few times.
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow- IMO the best 2D game ever. RPG elements weaved well into a platformer with countless weapons, items and "souls". It's really epic and the music is just phenomenal.
Mario Kart- best of the series so far. Plenty of modes and unlockables. It's old but there is always an army of people on WiFi.
Animal Crossing is pure addiction. Can get very repetative but it's such a charming, relaxing and beautifully made game.
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond- Super epic games, typical Pokemon run - great music, charming graphics. Add in WiFi and it's begging for 100-200 hour play times.
Advance Wars- a love/hate kind of game. TBS war game. I hear it can be very addictive.
Hotel Dusk- incredibly immersive story-based mystery game. Spiritual sequel to Another Code.

Resident Evil is supposed to be good, couldn't get into it myself (spoilt by the Cube version :D )

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
Wow thanks for the extremely detailed responses. I think that the biggest issue i have is that these games don't have a ton of replay value and its kinda a "wham-bam-thank-you-mam" kind of deal. And I dont know, Im a big fan of the N and i hear good things but can it really be that good/fun?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Some games are. Tetris, Meteos... even Nintendogs and Brain Training are short things you might not spend long on. But there are huge games out there. FF3 and Pokemon are eating up all my gaming time, I've stuck in about 12 hours into FF and I'm only 1/4 through it (doesn't help that I got lost/stuck many times :D ) and Pokemon with 24 hours and just 3/8 through it.
I'm gunning for level 100 on Castlevania and I've invested a good 40 hours into that going for the 100% finish.

These are just the games a poor student has too :) theres a lot out there.

And put it this way... if I could only play 1 system ever again (or take to a desert island, take your pick :D ) it would be the DS. It's really turned into something spectacular.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
Dude, PSP is a total waste of moolah.

DS is amazingly fun, pocket sized and does everything you want it to do. Plus, its freaking fun to play.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I agree with jimmi above. If I could only keep one of my gaming systems, it'd be the DS, no contest.

Tetris DS and Mario Kart alone have eaten up so much of my time due to the wifi. I'm terrible at Tetris (I'm pretty good against normal people, but I'm terrible against the DS wifi players), but I still play it all the time. I sneak in a few games throughout my day. I've done so much wifi Mario Kart it is insane.

Pokemon Pearl/Diamond is worth the money. It isn't a short game by any means. I have about 10 hours in and I'm only 2/8 way in. I haven't even messed with the whole underground/wifi feature yet much either.

Advance Wars is another type of game that can be played for ages. There are tons of medals to unlock. My friend has hundreds of hours in his game and he has only about 1/2 of the medals unlocked. The game can get very challenging in the later levels, so if you're looking for an easy game this isn't it. It's a blast though.

Late 2007 will also bring a lot of great games to the DS. New Final Fantasies, new Dragon Quest, new Zelda.

Not to mention you also have the entire GBA library open as well since the DS can play GBA games as well.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I have 20 games for my DS and love it. Mines even got some stuff going so I can play MP3's and what not on it. I wouldn't even consider the PSP, but those are my needs here. DS is just better for me at the moment...might not be for you.

Paul

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I loved playing Final Fantasy III, Tetris DS, Advance Wars: Dual Strike on my Nintendo DS Lite. Right now, Pearl is taking up a lot of time on my DSL. It's a great, compact portable gaming handheld that will keep you busy for quite a while. Good luck!

drumpat01

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2004
Denton, TX
Ok all you kids out there, video games were still fun and sold like hot cakes back in the mid 80s too. GRAPHICS ARE NOT EVERYTHING!!! You ever played the original Super Mario Bros? Amazingly fun game. How about Contra or even pac man. Those games became legends with pretty weak graphics compared to today's games.

Also, the Wii is out selling the PS3 by like 3 to 1. So yet another example that graphics aren't everything.

Don't be afraid to take the plunge. I just bought my DS Lite a few weeks ago and I love it. The web browser is coming out in like a month for the US and I cant wait. I have New Super Mario Bros and Pokemon Diamond and I'm addicted to both. Super Mario Kart is also really fun and I could play Brain Age all day if my friend would let me keep it :)

If you just want to play a few of your PS and PS2 games on the go, then i guess you should get a PSP. Or if you want to watch crappy quality versions of your movies. And if you feel like paying more money for it.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
thank you all for giving me your thoughts and opinions. i didn't know the ds lite had wifi, so i could play on the internet? so if im in nyc, can i play mariokart with my frend in california?

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
thank you all for giving me your thoughts and opinions. i didn't know the ds lite had wifi, so i could play on the internet? so if im in nyc, can i play mariokart with my frend in california?

Yep. As long as you give each other your friend codes, you can play against your CA friend.

Some DS games also have a "Download Play" feature. Say you and a few of your friends got together and wanted to play some Tetris, but only one of you had the card? That person can set up a multiplayer game, and the rest of you can download Tetris from him and play it against each other.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Should I get the DS Lite? Yes? No? My brother says the graphics suck compared to the psp. Pros/Cons? please tell and some games that make the dsl worth getting.

Tell me some games that make the PSP worth getting!

Kidding!

cluster bomb, cluster bomb, cluster bomb!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I got one with a friend. We bought Mario Cart with it.

Oh my god. I actually have bruises on my thumbs.

Fantastic fun, especially if you've got people to play against. The names we were screaming at each other are unrepeatable.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
what if you dont know many ppl with ds and dont have many friend codes. Can you still play with other ppl via wifi?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
All WiFi games (barring Animal Crossing) seem to have non-friend code online matches. They take measures to keep us safe from morons by removing mic features etc, in these modes. It's usually called Global or Regional mode.

djstarrock

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
UK, Scotland, Glasgow
I would really recommend the DS Lite to anyone its got such a wide variety of games for example:

Mario Kart Amazing racing game
animal crossing Great game to relax in but can get boring
New Super Mario Bros Great side scroller to play when your bored
Metroid The single player is lacking but online is great
Lego StarWarsGood game but very unfinished

If you do go onto buy one you made a right choice.

greedygutz1

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2007
I don't think you should get the DS Light because I've tryed it.

Points why you shouldn't get it:

1. It dosn't have a holder to put your pen in.

2.You can't hear it as much.

3.It's smaller and harder to hold.

Points why you should get it:

1.You can still see the screen in the sun.

The normal DS is much better. Well, thats what I think anyway.
It can get a bit anoying in the sun at times though.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I don't think you should get the DS Light because I've tryed it.

Points why you shouldn't get it:

1. It dosn't have a holder to put your pen in.

2.You can't hear it as much.

3.It's smaller and harder to hold.

Points why you should get it:

1.You can still see the screen in the sun.

The normal DS is much better. Well, thats what I think anyway.
It can get a bit anoying in the sun at times though.

It does have a holder for the pen. It just isn't in the same place as the fat DS. It is on the back right side. When I switched from the fat DS to the DS lite I noticed no difference in the sound. I find it much easier to hold, actually, but that one just comes down to personal preference. The larger DS feels more clumsy and awkward to me.

I've had both the older DS and the DS Lite, and the Lite completely blows the older one away in terms of design and comfort. The screen is much better on the DS Lite as well.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not sure Greedygutz has played a DSL!

But for the pros and cons of each system (I actually do own both)-

DSL
+
Small, light
Incredible screen
Better battery life at certain screen brightness levels
various levels of brightness
Longer pen
majority of systems use a more sensitive touchscreen
-
Speakers don't have the same bass impact
Volume max is minutely lower than other DS
Doesn't feel as robust
Buttons

Original DS
+
Feels much more robust
More responsive buttons
Excellent speakers
-
Backlight on or off
Dull screen
majority of systems use a less sensitive touchscreen
Strange, but sometimes useful button placement

If I'm playing a game that needs lots of touchscreen use I'll go with the Lite, but I've found myself creeping back to the original DS for non-touch games (Tetris, Mario, Castlevania).

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
ok so i went with the general consensus and got the black one. (also they just so conveniently had 2 wiis so i got me one of those too lols). but now im borderline ocd about keeping my stuff as scratch free as possible. so now SUGGESTIONS for any cases? I dont need a case that lets me play in it (enter every weird looking psp case). its solely for carrying/transporting purposes. i'm all about simple, clean and slim. if there is anything similar to my case for my MB, that'd be gravvy, but i'd entertain all cases.
btw my mb case is http://www.radtech.us/Products/GloveCase.aspx
TIA

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Lik Sang used to stock these very nice looking leather cases, but Sony went and shut them down just before I they started stocking them :( I can't even find them on eBay. Right now I'm using an old case for a Gameboy Pocket. It's a bit tight but it closes up fine. I think a Classic GB case would be the right size. If you still have any of them lying around!

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I didn't know about the touch-screen sensitivity thing Ragemmi, thanks for the info. Everytime I see my friend's DSL screen I flip over how vibrant colorful it is compared to mine.

Coo deal Mac'Mo. I'm going to get a Black DSL later this year. The Wii was an excellent find. :)

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.