Should I get the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or the Nvidia Shield Tablet?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by theapplefanboyj, Nov 23, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

Black Friday is coming up, and I can't wait for the deals that are going to be taking place. However, I'm looking for a new tablet, and Ive made my mind up between the Nvidia Shield Tablet and the Galaxy Tab S 8.4. I don't know which one to choose yet.

I like watching shows and with the Tab S' screen it's perfect and sharp. But there's nothing wrong with the shield.

I don't really prefer stock android though my last two phones have been similar to stock android. I like the additions that touch wiz has but I also like the buttery smoothness of the Nvidia shield.

I also read a lot of books and the Galaxy tab s is the clear winner-no doubt about that.

So which tablet do you think I should get for my usage?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'm not a fan of NVidia. But that's based on my personal experiences, I don't expect that view to be general.

I CAN speak from first hand experience with the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, I paid $249 @ Best Buy. (It'll be $199 on Black Friday @ Best Buy). It came with a $25 Google Play voucher which was a nice touch. It is an absolutely beautiful system with no lag.

Split-screen multitasking, and Hancom Office suite make it a very powerful system IMO. TouchWiz is actually not annoying on it, though I do prefer to use Nova Launcher Prime.

Pixel density of the screen is not a high priority for me, but the 359 PPI density of the Pro's screen makes reading (ebooks, comics, and scans of vintage magazines/catalogs) a joy.

3. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Owned Nvidia Tegra in the past and it was a horrible experience. I'd lean towards the Tab S especially for the delicious display or even Tab Pro.

4. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I wouldn't get an Nvidia tablet ever no matter how good the specs and the price could be.

They are forgotten easily.