Should I get the Haswell rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wilsoncw1997, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Wilsoncw1997, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

Wilsoncw1997 macrumors newbie

Currently I am using the first gen rMBP, which is max out. I am pretty happy with it because of the 16gb ram that it has and it could handle multiple task such as Lightroom exporting and FCPX exporting.

However, the part that I am not so happy is the GPU(650m). It is okay when I do task that can wait I.e export and rendering. The part which is not okay is when it comes to gaming. I play only battlefield 4 on it, and the current rMBP can play at 1920 x1200 at some max and medium setting with little AA. By the way this overclocked with MSI which it is around 40-50 FPS.

So my question is: is it worth it to get the new rMBP with 750m and upgraded CPU. OR should I wait for maxwell GPU which uses unified memory in the 2014 rMBP?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd wait given that you'll not really see a huge difference in performance, even if the dGPU is better in the 2013 rMBPs

3. klogg macrumors member

Gpu got nothing to do with rendering, that task is CPU intensive. In my opinion you can't do games that well on mac. How much money would you need to invest to get new rMBP?

4. Wilsoncw1997 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that gaming on a mac, with windows, is not that worth it. However I like mac because I like osx when I do simple and other task with it, and at the same time can run windows to ONLY play games. $2100 I can spend

5. skatya macrumors newbie

6. Wilsoncw1997 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah it'd be stupid to get the new one unless you have a high income and really just want to.

Only real advantage I see overall is the faster RAM, but that's not worth the $400+ conversion you'd be making for it. The 750M is not a notable upgrade over the 650M.