Should I get the iPad 4th gen or a refurb 3rd gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mossme89, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

Trying to figure out which one to get. I'm just looking for something that would be good at web browsing. I'm actually typing this on my dad's original iPad and it's good, but just wish it was a tad faster and had a higher resolution display.

I can save $120 by getting an iPad 3 refurb, but am unsure if the iPad 4 is worth the extra $...

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'd stick with the iPad 3 refurb unless you really love the lightning connection and need the faster processing power.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I only want the 4th gen for the lightning port (I have an iPhone 5 and it makes life easier to be able to charge 2 devices with one charger) and the new 12-watt charger brick. I also have the LTE version and I'm thinking I'm going to jump off the LTE iPad ship this round. I used it all of 2 months and it's been ok but I find myself not needing it since I have LTE on my iPhone now.

So I'd say save the money and get a 3 if you're not invested in the new port.

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The extra speed would be great, but I'm going to stick with my iPad3.

Since Apple is still selling lots of iPad2's and now the mini, there will be plenty of reasons for devs to make sure their apps run great on the A5 generation of processors. It'll be a while before apps require the A6.

5. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

On the flipside, I'm thinking of the possible benefits of the A6. Aside from just being faster and more powerful, I can't think of any. What do you think?

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

That question has me on the fence as well. Will my Apple addiction allow me to consider a previous generation product? I just don't know.

The thing is, if the price difference is only around $50, what's the point?

7. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

IMHO, if you have lots of old accessories and you don't intend on upgrading yearly, get the 3.

Otherwise 4 is the way to go.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Fortunately, the only accessory I have left is a USB car charger with a 30 pin detachable cable.

9. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the only worthwhile upgrade for the iPad 4, and it's a big one, is the A6X processor. for any people who owned an iPad 2 and then an iPad 3, and they played graphics intensive games, they know the inadequacies of the A5X. games like Metal Storm hiccuped, stuttered, and the overall game play was inferior to playing the same game on the iPad 2. the Retina screen is a beast, and the A5X just couldn't handle the beast when you took the iPad beyond its normal paces.

for anyone who does not yet own an iPad or owns an older model than the iPad 3, getting the iPad 4 is a no brainer. for anyone who already has an iPad 3, taking a resale hit to get the iPad 4 may not be worth it. for anyone who has an iPad 3 and they fall within Apple's unofficial 30 day exchange period (such as myself), upgrading to the iPad 4 is a no brainer. i just returned mine tonight at the Ardmore, PA (Suburban Square) Apple Store - they took it back without any problem.

the Lightening connector is an annoyance for some and a convenience for other. i won't comment on the port change, since it all depends on whether or not you have an iPhone 5.

the Facetime HD camera is a nice whistle or bell, however you want to call it. not needed really, but nice to have. i can't complain that i'll get to see my girlfriend in HD on my business trips, although it'll make it more noticeable when she washes off her makeup at night (don't tell her i said that).

i can't comment on the 2x increased wifi speeds, as for the internet speeds i get with FiOS the main bottleneck will be the connection itself, not my wireless connection from my iPad to my router.

it really all comes down to the A6X which will be a godsend for the iPad Retina when it tries to handle the Retina and push video game graphics rending on that beautiful display. i welcome the upgrade, the only downside to returning my iPad 3 tonight is that i have to wait a month to get the iPad 4. it'll be worth it though...

good riddance A5X

10. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Part of me still wants to get the iPad 4 and return the refurb iPad 3. It will cost me $170, but I feel it will last me longer and wont feel the urge to upgrade when iPad 5 comes out.

11. Mickeylittle macrumors newbie

Wait a month? I will have mine in 7 days. Why are you waiting a month?

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

LTE bro