iPad Should i get the Ipad Air 2 or wait for the next Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billy95Tech, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Billy95Tech, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

I am looking to get a new tablet in around May and i am interested getting the Ipad Air 2.

But i thought since it will be around Around May it is only 5 months till the Apple's Keynote for when they the nee Ipads then i might as well wait for next ipad but i don't really know....

So in around May should i get the Ipad Air 2 or wait for the next Ipad?

By the way i have 2 tablets a high end Android tablet(Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4) and a powerful 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core).

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Only you can really answer this question. There will always be something else coming out eventually so waiting doesn't make much sense IF you really want the tablet now.

I suggest trying out an iPad Air 2 first to see if you like it and can deal with some of its issues. It's a hardware powerhouse but it's extreme thinness does have some drawbacks.

3. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Yep, it's entirely a subjective matter. There will always be a new iPad less than a year away. May to October/November is still a 5-6 month period, which could be hundreds of hours of using and enjoying the device. We don't really know anything about the next model, and how attractive (or trivial) the changes might be.

Also depends a bit on your budget. If I could (or wanted to) only get an iPad every two or three years, and I had no urgent need for a new iPad, I'd probably wait five months. But if I wanted or needed one right away, and knew I can buy another model whenever something that appeals comes around, I'd get one now.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

My rule of thumb is if i'm past 6 months into a unit cycle, i'll just wait until the next product cycle.

5. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm hoping the next versions of Apples iPad's will take the design of the current iPhone and have rounded edges so I'm waiting. But I can wait because I have an iPad Air 1 I can use in the meantime.

6. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

7. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Same rule but change it to around 4-5months.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Should I answer this question now or wait a couple of days til it's asked again?

9. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

10. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Well the ipad air 2 is plagued by a serious isssue knows as iPop if i were you i surely wait for the ipad air 3, but if pops doesn't affect you buy the 2.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think that's a huge exaggeration.
    I never like to be the person who posts the "I don't have that issue" post because it suggests that I'm de-legitimizing people who are affected by whatever problem they are experiencing.
    So I'm NOT saying that this is a bogus problem. I'm simply saying that the Air 2 isn't "plagued" by it. Some experience it. Some don't. I fall into the latter category.

12. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Mine isn't. I also don't actually know (personally) anyone who has that alleged problem.

13. addictzz macrumors 6502

There will be new iPad coming around October 2015 period.

New processors, new gpu, new features. Probably with force feedback feature if Apple were to be so generous.

New display probably.

New casing design that matches iphone 6.

Vibration issue (probably) solved.

But there will be new issue reported by macrumors peep here.

But you might need to wait for a month to conveniently obtain one. And another month for a heap of casing choices to fit your new ipad.

Bottom of line, just get it now if you need one. iPad Air 2 is great enough product with 2GB RAM (at least that won't change for a long time) and super fast A8X processor. It can last you for a few years before you need to replace it.

14. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

You already have two pretty good tablets. I think it will be a good idea to wait for the next iPad.

15. Billy95Tech, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

Yeah i have 2 high end tablets a Android tablet and a Windows 8 tablet.

I want to get a Ipad as my next tablet because i want to have and use 3 major OS's on tablets.
    For example when i buy the Ipad Air 2(or 3)

My use case will be after i buy a ipad it will be like:

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: Use on the go in the car and for only media consumption(web surfing, watching videos, playing games, more) i can use it to edit my Youtube videos but i won't because the sceen is too small.

Ipad Air 2(or 3): Use on the go in the car and media consumption(web surfing, watching videos, playing games. more) and will be used to for some content creation like making Youtube videos because of the app support and the sceen size.

Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core): Media consumption(web surfing, watching videos, playing games. more) and content creation like making Youtube videos which i do on it already

16. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

An iPad will not compare to a device with a Core i5 processor for media creation.

17. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I am in the same boat but my problem is that I think the iPad Air 3 will have almost no upgrade at all like it was between 3 and 4 .

I just really cant think of anything Apple will add to it making waiting futile, on the other hand I am afraid to buy one and Apple surprises me with a big update. My budget is kind of limited so i can't upgrade twice in a year

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm scared actually because I think Air 3 (or whatever the next one is) might be an all-new design similar to iPhone 6. I think it is not impossible it could gain feedback like Apple Watch and the new trackpads too.

However, most of all, the Pro is coming. Will I want a bigger screen? Maybe?

I think there is a chance the Air 3 could be a very minuscule update, perhaps only speed bump, if Apple wanted to focus on the iPad Pro this year instead. Who knows though? That might make sense to make this year all about the Pro and save the big Air update for next year.

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

I wondering as well if we'll see a new look for the Air 3? I'm also interested in a larger iPad as I still have an iPad 2/3/Air.

20. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

Yeah it does the Ipad does the same stuff as Windows 8 tablets with a I5/7 Core CPU and that includes content creation and video editing very well.

21. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Well, this is also a possibility because Air 2 is like the "S" version of phones. Same form factor but a spec bump. In addition, I understand Apple is not very happy about iPad sales so they might do something innovative.

But while the iphone 5s could use a huge upgrade, the Air is almost as good as it gets in form factor and spec wise (2GB RAM!). Both scenarios are possible.

Geekbench multicore scores shows iPad Air 2 is twice as fast as my macbook 2008!!

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I feel like you can't go wrong with the iPad Air 2 at this point. The iPad feels like a baked product to me.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I absolutely agree with this too. However, analysts like suggesting the iPad isnt selling well. therefore, big changes could still happen.

Then again, when you look what they did to the mini this year, big changes may be only with the Pro and mini that is my hunch.

24. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

Perhaps for simple edits, iMovie-level.

Stuff like full Photoshop or After Effects is not available on iOS, while capable of running pretty well on i5-powered devices, even tablets.

25. mmartinezs macrumors regular