Should I get the iPhone 4 or should I pass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrianTido, Oct 29, 2013.

1. BrianTido macrumors newbie

I currently use virgin mobile due to being a broke college student. I noticed the other day that they had dropped the price of the iPhone 4 to $200. Ive always owned androids and am slightly interested in the aspect of owning an iPhone for the first time. I'm really attracted to the screen quality and reliability of apple products. I'm not someone who has very demanding needs of a phone so the specs (aside from not having 4g and the low memory) don't really bother me. The 4 is the only one I can afford on virgin mobile.
    I'm worried that it may be too outdated and that people will criticize me for having such outdated technology. Is it worth the investment or should I just get the lg optimus f3?

2. ttinc macrumors regular

If you're worried about it being outdated (trouble running the new OS) then you have good reason. If you're concerned what people will think of you based on the device you own, get some perspective.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hate the iPhone 4. But, that's purely for an aesthetic reason. I don't care for it's looks.

But I would say, buy it and here's why. It's a perfect introduction to the Apple ecosystem. Odds are you will get it with iOS 6. And the possibility exists that you could jailbreak it. Jailbreaking is just like rooting for Android, it allows you to install non-Apple authorized stuff.

But, even if you don't or can't jailbreak, the introduction to iOS is the real thing here.

This is what I did in preparing to buy my iPhone 5. My sister gave me her 3GS and I used that phone to learn about iOS. When I got my iPhone 5 last year I knew what I was going in to.

Despite my personal opinion above, the iPhone 4 is an iPhone. And the 4 is the one that changed a whole lot of things. Those that give you an attitude about "old iPhones" are people whose opinions aren't worth anything anyway. Who cares what they or I think. It's what YOU think. You're the one that will be using the phone and paying the bill so they don't get a vote.

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

I'd hold off and wait till you can score at least a 4S. I don't know if dropping $200 on a 4 right now is a good idea, it is most definitely on its last iOS release and is quite sluggish at this point. It'd still work well for basic needs and a little beyond, but I really think the 4S is worth saving a bit more money for, or waiting for a special deal somewhere, whether it be through a carrier or used on eBay.

5. B2FiNiTY macrumors member

People will talk no matter what you do, it's something out of your control. Just let them talk.

Focus on doing you.

Get what makes you happy without going broke or in this case, even more broke. :apple:

6. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 that I use as an iPod basically, and I can tell you that it is much slower with iOS 7 than a 5 or 5s. I have an iPod touch (which I am pretty sure has the same processor as iPhone 4S) and it runs iOS 7 perfectly. You will likely be disappointed with an iPhone 4 at this point and I would look for a 4s if you can swing it.

7. TacticalDesire, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

For basic tasks like email, texting, phone calls, GPS, and light app usage the 4 will be adequate. Not as good as some of the newer phones on virgin but will get the job done.

Don't worry about what some ******* thinks about your phone. It's yours not theirs. They aren't paying for it. Plus most can't tell the difference between the 4 and 4s from the outside so I doubt you'd have problems anyway. Besides. Who cares? It's a phone.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ummm donuts.

OP: If you can score a brand new iPhone 4 contract free and unlocked for $200, I would do it. If you're going to have a contract then I would get the 4S at the very least. It is not about being cool, it is about having slightly more updated technology that handles iOS 7 very well.

9. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I recently upgrades to a 4 from a 3GS. I like it a lot. Of course it's slower than the new ones. Who cares? It is probably on its last is release. I think it runs iOS 7 just fine, with the proper settings. I'd get it.

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I'd say that a used 4S is also the way to go. Check around on craigslist or eBay for one on VM. Or, buy an AT&T 4S and port over to AIO.

I have an iPhone 4. It was perfectly fine on OS 6, but drags (while still being usable) on OS 7. I really love the features and layout of OS 7, so I wouldn't ever want to go back to 6. With the 4S, you're getting a dual core processor and better camera, which makes the experience much more enjoyable. I'm browsing my local craigslist and finding one for about $200 is completely possible.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

He's on Virgin Mobile so it's probably difficult to find a used 4S for that carrier. I would say go ahead and get the iPhone 4. It will be a nice introduction to iOS and you'll like the stability and reliability compared to the Androids you were probably used to using before.

12. moneymike0284 macrumors member

My suggestion is not to get a 4. I had one before and after ios7 and I didn't really enjoy the experience on either. It would just bog down too often for me. I've got the 5 now and I love it. I'd say try to find a deal on a 4s. It's still a good phone even on ios7.

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I know this is not what you are wanting to hear but you are asking.

Unless you need another phone, keep what you have and save the money.
    Being a broke student is no fun and it would likely be best to have that "spare" money tucked away incase of a "real" need.:rolleyes:

Just saying . . . .

14. ayres macrumors regular

find out which os is installed. the earlier the better.

15. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Yes it's slow but I certainly can't complain, bought one 2nd hand around 6months around my upgrade due date and I can say it has given me a fantastic insight to iOS and the we'll run Apple Eco system. I'd say do it if you plan to keep it for 12 to 18 months and then evaluate what you prefer to do after. It's a good stepping stone device given good insight and a way to learn apple.

I for one am now confident I'll upgrade to a 5 or 5c now that I know I like the os more than I ended up with android.

16. nickprete11 macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd go for. I'm a poor high school student and I think it's a pretty well deal. I have the 5s, and it's a great phone. My mom has the iPhone 4 (she got it when it was free on contract last year) and it's still a great phone. Don't listen to them, for someone who's starting out on the Apple ecosystem, it's perfect.

17. JOSE891, Oct 30, 2013

JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

The 4 is really outdated and kind slow. I got a 16Gb White 4S @ Target the other day for $249.99,, I recommend getting that one!

Attached Files:

18. Troneas, Oct 30, 2013

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

$200 for a three year old phone sounds excessive to me - regardless of your needs.

i would consider that amount for a 4S though. the improved camera and dual core CPU alone still make this phone relevant and will prove a better investment in the long run.

perhaps if you search some more or wait a little more you can get it at the price you seek.

19. aredey macrumors newbie

i think 4s is better than 4.

20. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

This person also makes a good point. Set your priorities. Is a new phone really essential? Sure your current one probably sucks but tis life. Could that $200 be used on something else?

21. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Unless people know Apple products, there will be no way of telling whether you have the 4 or 4S.

22. Davejprince macrumors regular

According to my own experience ( 4 and 4s ) The 4s is way better and faster and is a good choice.

23. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Thanks but as you can tell no one wants to hear about practicality. It is really about how much I think my life will improve with a new phone!:p

24. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I think that is pretty shallow to be concerned with how OTHERS will perceive of you based on a phone...