Should i get the Iphone now, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GabeJ, Nov 29, 2007.

1. GabeJ macrumors newbie

I really really want a iphone and i'm pretty sure my parents are getting it for me on Hanukkah. But i just read the rumor of apple releasing the 3G iphone in 2008. Should i get it now or get a smaller present and wait until the 3G iphone comes out? Also, do you think apple will come out the the 3G iphone late 2008? mid? early?

Thanks

2. lovelyooz macrumors newbie

3. Amblinman macrumors regular

After using my iPhone since August, I no longer see the rush for 3G. WiFi is incredibly fast, and in a pinch EDGE is fine (coverage depending, of course).

The next iPhone is going to have to offer more than 3G for me to be interested.

4. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i was thinking about it too.. but i just went for it and got it. best decision i ever made

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Don't listen to the EDGE complaining.

I used my iPhone and someones ATT 3G Phone, and there is BARELY a difference.

For the price of EDGE, it's perfect. Not to mention, EDGE is pretty much all over the US, 3G isn't.

6. nowaycomputer macrumors newbie

I'd also say get it, wifi coverage is always increasing and EDGE speeds really aren't that bad if the coverage is OK.

Theres always the dilemma of whether to buy or wait: the general maxim of these forums seems to be:
    If a product does what you need it to do in its current iteration: buy it;
    if it doesn't: wait.

Of course, whether or not watching youtube videos on the way to work counts as a 'need' is debatable, but I certainly check my email on the way in every morning with only fairly weak EDGE coverage.

Besides which, I've got a hunch that apple would have A LOT of annoyed customers if they released a 3G iphone while early adopters are left with 6 months on their contract, unless there was some sort of upgrade option. (This is pure speculation)

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This post really helped me...

hopefully you'll benefit as well.
    :cool:

Attached Files:

8. RMferrer macrumors member

just buy it...that's what i did and i don't regret it(purchased 2 days ago). you are just torturing yourself waiting(i know you are;)).

9. rubeeen macrumors member

youre probably in an area where 3G signal is WONKY.

i compared my helio with my brothers iphone and its night and day.

we tested it with espn.com

and i say wait at least for the SDK iphone in feb [guestimate]

10. jerry li macrumors newbie

11. eswank macrumors 6502

To me, there's no sense in waiting because you'll always wait. You'll always ask yourself the "what if's" and the "but's". If you've played with one and you really like it, GET IT!

12. Apple321 macrumors member

Buy one now...like I am tommorow.

Who knows, the next iPhone may not be out until late next year or later. Once the new version comes out you can always sell the iPhone you have, I'm sure there will be plently of people willing to buy the first version for a reasonable price. Assuming AT&T will let us upgrade iPhones then you will be able to reduce the cost of a new one by selling the old one...although you will probably have to chip in a new few hundred dollars.

13. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

If I were still in the market for buying an iPhone, I wouldn't buy one at this point. Not until the Jan Expo. A buying decision for me would be based on what news/rumor comes out of and around the Jan expo.

If would wait.

14. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

I was divided as well and i was wondering whether I had to wait for 3G. But the iPhone came out in France 3 or 4 days ago and gues what? I was in line in front o f the store

I got the awesome cellphone and do not regret it. One thing that I realized is that there is not much need for 3G. In fact wifi is uber cool and should you really hate EDGE (which is not THAT slow) than I would advise to subscribe to some wifi club like fon.com in order to be able to go wireless with WIFI wherever you want. That's the future, not 3G and the iPhone can do it :)

15. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

16. dangleheart macrumors 6502

If your typical gadget upgrade cycle in every 3 years or so, then wait. If you typically upgrade every year or 18 months, get the iPhone now.

17. lordgaino macrumors member

just go and indulge yourself. a little of what you fancy does you good.

if you were to spend your whole life trying to be practical then you would be bored out of your brain!

18. kimguroo macrumors member

get it now.
    I just got another Iphone for my wife.

I think 3G Iphone will not be available until 2009.

Jan. macworld 08 will be all about ultra-portable laptop and 3G iphone might be introduced middle of 08 at apple event (Because of FCC rules) then apple will sell new Iphone on jan. 09 at macworld.

Iphone is still great device without 3G.
    I am happy with my iphone:D

19. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I bought one in September. Lost it last night somewhere. I am so glad I bought one... but I will wait to replace it until 16 G is out now. I HATE using my RAZR, but now I think the Mem is more important. I had 8 gig maxed all the time.

If I never had one, I would get it now, though. The phone is THAT good. EDGE is fine, no reason to wait got 3G.

20. rayward macrumors 65816

I think there's been studies that show EDGE and 3G to be comparative for speed most of the time. Also, 3G kills the battery faster than Wi-Fi.

The main difference between 3G and EDGE is that 3G allows data and voice simultaneously over the same connection. Unless you're on Wi-Fi, you can do one or the other but not both on EDGE.

I'm not sure that 3G is the reason to wait.

21. rayward macrumors 65816

If they do the same deal as they do now with AT&T, you'll be able to re-up with a new phone without penalty. Also, Apple has a habit of upgrading products before it's completed its product cycle. i.e. the release improved products before sales of the old one have waned.

22. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Do you want to pay $400 now for an EDGE device, or $400 later for the same device with 3G? That's all there is to it.

We can't answer that question for you. You know what the difference between EDGE and 3G is... but only you know whether or not you're willing to wait.

Have you given any thought as to whether or not your parents should be spending $400 of their hard earned money on a gadget that, strictly speaking, you don't need?

23. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Debating the same thing myself. Do I talk the GF into getting me one for Xmas or wait until after MacWorld. I'm currently an AT&T customer, so I'm not really looking for 3G, but I might want to hold out for more memory. Eight GB is enough for content but 16GB might be nice once the SDK is released and some apps come out. Of course even if they announce a 16 GB iPhone in Jan it may be awhile until its released, and who knows if Steve would bump the price back up to $600.00 again.

24. sjo macrumors 6502a

i think those studies are flawed...

it does? on devices that have both 3g and wifi, it seems that you get about 1/3 more usage time out of the battery using 3g than using wifi.

+ 3g being x times faster...

apple's going to update the camera (more mpix + auto focusing lens + another camera for 3g video calls), add more flash memory and gps, at least, no? maybe they'll add that cut&paste buttom as well?

25. oneflip76 macrumors newbie

Get an iPhone now?

If I were you, wait till the 2nd generation. There's so many things you can do with the iPhone at the moment but Apple is limiting its potential. 3rd party applications will be allowed soon plus a bunch of the stuff thanks to all the users who have beta tested ("hacked") new applications. I have a love-hate relationship with my iPhone (service SUCKS, too many dropped calls, limited abilities, no picture messaging, ringer volume, earphone volume, etc.) If I knew the "phone" part of the iPhone was crappy, I would have just bought an iTouch. They should have called this the "iDevice" (phone feature included). I'm much happier with the phone since I've hacked it- though I'm currently on the 1.1.2 update and just don't feel like going back to 1.1.1 and doing the hacks all over again. I use my iPhone as an iPod and got me a Sony Ericsson 810i- much better (WAY BETTER) than the iPhone as a communications device. I wish I was still in the Verizon Network, if only I knew that it was THAT BAD of a service with AT&T.