Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
I'm going into my junior of college and I already have a rMBP and was thinking of purchasing the 9.7 iPP for note-taking and in-class usage. I currently have to take my laptop in addition to notebooks for some classes and it honestly is a pain.
Would it be more useful to get the iPP or the iPad Air? Is it worth it to splurge on the Pro (and Pencil) or should the Air suffice?

Thanks!

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Hate to use the cliche, but it depends. If you're mostly typing out notes, an iPad Air with an external keyboard would really lighten your bag and is much more portable. I have the Pro (12.9") and it is very nice for viewing material and writing, but I don't think you need all the power and size for notes. If you do drawing or sketches, the answer is obvious (pro+pencil).

Last edited:

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Hate to use the cliche, but it depends. If you're mostly typing out notes, an iPad Air with an external keyboard would really lighten your bag and is much more portable. I have the Pro and it is very nice for viewing material and writing, but I don't think you need all the power and size for notes. If you do drawing or sketches, the answer is obvious (pro+pencil).
The air and 9.7 pro are the same size

Reactions: burgman

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
For note taking the iPP (either 9.7 or 12.9) is head and shoulders above what came before it. I spent 2 years trying out stylus using an iPad 4 and taking notes at site meetings etc. There 'was' a learning curve to get good notes. The Pro came along and immediately got it (the 12.9), note taking and sketching was a breeze from day 1.

One thing I would suggest is the 9.7 for backpack/sachel, the 12.9 has the same footprint as a retina MacBook Pro but to me it always feels fragile in my bag, and it can be rather unwieldy in some circumstances.

Reactions: neutrino23

advinam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
If I do end up purchasing the iPP, it would only be the 9.7 version. I will be taking a few science courses in the upcoming semesters (Organic Chemistry, physics and biochem) and I'm assuming it would be useful for those classes.
But I have to also convince my parents haha

thank you all for your help!

Reactions: SRLMJ23

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
If I do end up purchasing the iPP, it would only be the 9.7 version. I will be taking a few science courses in the upcoming semesters (Organic Chemistry, physics and biochem) and I'm assuming it would be useful for those classes.
But I have to also convince my parents haha

thank you all for your help!

I would tell anybody that is looking to note take that the air two is no longer the go to iPad there are no first party accessories I would recommend 9.7 inch iPad Pro with the pencil it will be very useful outside of school the power it wields Will be good for years to come the iPad air two is already losing its potential being two years old almost
[doublepost=1467838440][/doublepost]I personally have the iPad pro 12.9 inch cellular model and I love the fact that you can have two 9.7 inch iPad Pro applications running side-by-side plus a picture in picture but I can understand that the 12.9 inch model is not for everybody but I would recommend you try out the Apple smart keyboard if you end up getting the 9.7 inch it will help you with notetaking and less you strictly want to use notepad with the pencil you always have 14 days to try it out and return it 100% no questions asked i'm thing that you can mention to your parents if they seem skeptical about investing so much

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'll go with "it depends." I have the 12.9 inch iPad Pro and I love it for all sorts of things including note taking. The advantage is I never lose a note and can maybe add a photograph or sketch to the note. When you are doing something else like taking data in the lab or listening to a speaker I think you can jot down some notes more quickly than typing.

However, this is a very personal thing. It might not work for everyone. I'd get it now and practice for a few weeks,before deciding. You have a short time in which to return it (15 days? 30 days?). You don't want to show up at the first day of class and try to learn a new tool while listening to a lecture.

My tip for using Pencil with the iPad Pro: In most note taking/sketching apps it helps to zoom in somewhat when writing.
Experiment to find how this works for you. I find that fully zoomed out the letters aren't as smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.