Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Honestly, if you have any inkling that you need an rMBP, you probably should not get the rMB.

I have replaced my rMBP with an rMB, but it's because even once the "shiny" factor of the new rMB wears off, the reasoning for the use case is solid: portability above all else.

If you think you need the screen real estate or the power (specifically the GPU) of the rMBP, I don't think the rMB will be a long-term sustainable choice once the "new/sexy" factor wears off (which it always does after the honeymoon period).

If you need uber portable and can live with the compromises that means, it's a great machine, but if you're even having to ask the question, I think your gut knows the answer/the long-term answer, well, there is only one: the rMBP.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Your only laptop, or your only computer?

I wouldn't get a rMB as a primary computer. It's too limited in connections and the screen is on the small side for some kinds of work.

It is however an amazing mobile machine if you have a desktop to do the heavy lifting. I have a Mac Pro to do the big stuff and for my mobile machine I just want portability for writing and light stuff. I loved my rMBP but I didn't use it for more than a fraction of what it was capable of (because I have the Mac Pro).

I agree completely. I use a Mac Pro for tough stuff. The laptop is just for light computing so the rMB is almost perfect. (Wish it had at least one Thunderbolt port.) If the laptop was my only Mac, I would get the 13" Retina MacBook Pro with faster CPU, faster GPU, faster flash storage, and multiple ports including Thunderbolt. The 15" rMBP is an even better 'only Mac' with the GT 750M GPU but if that's the screen size you crave, I suggest waiting for the next rev with improved flash storage, updated CPU, etc.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have noticed some beach balls on the pro and I never had any on the air. I noticed it when updating Yosemite and while changing my lock screen picture.

yeah, and my air screams. ZERO UI LAG, 1500 read/write speeds, 512 SSD. It really is a beast of a machine.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
MacBook user since 2007. Have owned five MacBooks myself and my wife has owned two.

I am going to give my two cents here. From what you're saying you do not need a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is geared towards more productivity. The Pro has more processing power for more demanding work. Things such as heavy graphic design, heavy photo editing and any type of development work. Anything else short of that you do not need a MacBook Pro, at least for the processing power. The biggest difference between the Retina MacBook in the MacBook Pro is that the Retina MacBook is not as powerful. The thing people need to realize is probably 90% of users do not need (or use) the fu processing power of the MacBook Pro. I can perform all the features of a full Adobe Photoshop and Bridge install on a MacBook Air, which means if I can do that on a MacBook Air imagine what you should be able to do on a MacBook Pro.

If all you are using the laptop for it is to surf the web, stream video/movies/TV/music and using Office (or any word processing software) then the MacBook Pro is overpowered for your use. I can do all those things and then some on a MacBook Air.

The advantage I see with the Retina MacBook is that you have a full HD screen which has the same screen space as a MacBook Pro (I can see more on this screen than on my 2014 11" MBA), however it is extremely light even compared to a MacBook air. It is more portable. It has the same battery life as a MacBook Air. So, unless you are doing something with your laptop that requires high processing power there was no need for MacBook Pro. List out the things you do on your laptop then you can get a better understanding of which laptops suit your needs.

For me I do not perform intensive graphic design or development work anymore which is why I do not have a MacBook Pro. For me the retina MacBook is my perfect machine because it gives me the HD screen I want along with a 9 to 10 hour battery life. It also has a full size keyboard, and while it is slightly different than the normal Apple keyboard it is not something you cannot become accustomed to within today at typing.

The only major downside to the retina MacBook is if you need ports. If you use a lot of USB connections, connect to an external monitor or television set, or things of that sort then the Retina MacBook is going to be a hassle for you. This is probably the biggest trade-off with the Retina MacBook for most users.

On any given day I typically have a browser open with 4 to 5 tabs, one tab is always streaming music. I also have office Word and Outlook open. I have a Twitter app open. I will also have Adobe Photoshop open. I have never experienced up to this point any sort of lag or issue with performance. This shows you what type of workload this laptop can handle. If you ask anyone who actually owns this laptop and has used it for several days they will tell you this laptop can handle much more than people assume.

The issue is people go to the stores and test this laptop for 10 minutes and assume they know exactly how it works and how it feels (and this is on those crappy very low Apple store tables). That is like going to a car dealership test driving a car for 5 miles and assuming that everything you feel about that first test drive is how the car will always feel. Anything that is new to a person will take a few days or even a week to get accustomed to. This includes laptops, phones, and even cars.

My advice to you, the OP, is to figure out what you use on your laptop 90% of the time. If it falls within the range of basic laptop use where you do not need heavy processing power then the Retina MacBook is probably a good choice for you. However, if you want the processing power of the MacBook Pro just in case you need that processing power then I would move forward with a MacBook Pro. The only other thing I would reiterate is the need for cords. If you connect a lot of things to your computer via cable then the Retina MacBook will become a hassle for you.

One other point I want to make about the Retina MacBook and the 11" MacBook Air. There is little room for your palm or wrist. Therefore, if you have big hands or long fingers in may be a little difficult to type. When I first started using the MacBook Air in 2011 I had issues with my wrist due to the lack of palm resting space. But after a little while I got very accustomed to it and I no longer have any issues. However, I would urge anyone who has large hands or finder to test out this laptop before purchasing it.

At the end of the day Apple seemingly has enough laptop models to fit every person's need. This new Retina MacBook is not supposed to replace the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. So if what you're using a laptop for doesn't fit this laptop then I would advise you look at the other models which may fit your needs better. And this goes for everybody.

Well said. +1.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
MacBook user since 2007. Have owned five MacBooks myself and my wife has owned two.

I am going to give my two cents here. From what you're saying you do not need a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is geared towards more productivity. The Pro has more processing power for more demanding work. Things such as heavy graphic design, heavy photo editing and any type of development work. Anything else short of that you do not need a MacBook Pro, at least for the processing power. The biggest difference between the Retina MacBook in the MacBook Pro is that the Retina MacBook is not as powerful. The thing people need to realize is probably 90% of users do not need (or use) the fu processing power of the MacBook Pro. I can perform all the features of a full Adobe Photoshop and Bridge install on a MacBook Air, which means if I can do that on a MacBook Air imagine what you should be able to do on a MacBook Pro.

If all you are using the laptop for it is to surf the web, stream video/movies/TV/music and using Office (or any word processing software) then the MacBook Pro is overpowered for your use. I can do all those things and then some on a MacBook Air.

The advantage I see with the Retina MacBook is that you have a full HD screen which has the same screen space as a MacBook Pro (I can see more on this screen than on my 2014 11" MBA), however it is extremely light even compared to a MacBook air. It is more portable. It has the same battery life as a MacBook Air. So, unless you are doing something with your laptop that requires high processing power there was no need for MacBook Pro. List out the things you do on your laptop then you can get a better understanding of which laptops suit your needs.

For me I do not perform intensive graphic design or development work anymore which is why I do not have a MacBook Pro. For me the retina MacBook is my perfect machine because it gives me the HD screen I want along with a 9 to 10 hour battery life. It also has a full size keyboard, and while it is slightly different than the normal Apple keyboard it is not something you cannot become accustomed to within today at typing.

The only major downside to the retina MacBook is if you need ports. If you use a lot of USB connections, connect to an external monitor or television set, or things of that sort then the Retina MacBook is going to be a hassle for you. This is probably the biggest trade-off with the Retina MacBook for most users.

On any given day I typically have a browser open with 4 to 5 tabs, one tab is always streaming music. I also have office Word and Outlook open. I have a Twitter app open. I will also have Adobe Photoshop open. I have never experienced up to this point any sort of lag or issue with performance. This shows you what type of workload this laptop can handle. If you ask anyone who actually owns this laptop and has used it for several days they will tell you this laptop can handle much more than people assume.

The issue is people go to the stores and test this laptop for 10 minutes and assume they know exactly how it works and how it feels (and this is on those crappy very low Apple store tables). That is like going to a car dealership test driving a car for 5 miles and assuming that everything you feel about that first test drive is how the car will always feel. Anything that is new to a person will take a few days or even a week to get accustomed to. This includes laptops, phones, and even cars.

My advice to you, the OP, is to figure out what you use on your laptop 90% of the time. If it falls within the range of basic laptop use where you do not need heavy processing power then the Retina MacBook is probably a good choice for you. However, if you want the processing power of the MacBook Pro just in case you need that processing power then I would move forward with a MacBook Pro. The only other thing I would reiterate is the need for cords. If you connect a lot of things to your computer via cable then the Retina MacBook will become a hassle for you.

One other point I want to make about the Retina MacBook and the 11" MacBook Air. There is little room for your palm or wrist. Therefore, if you have big hands or long fingers in may be a little difficult to type. When I first started using the MacBook Air in 2011 I had issues with my wrist due to the lack of palm resting space. But after a little while I got very accustomed to it and I no longer have any issues. However, I would urge anyone who has large hands or finder to test out this laptop before purchasing it.

At the end of the day Apple seemingly has enough laptop models to fit every person's need. This new Retina MacBook is not supposed to replace the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. So if what you're using a laptop for doesn't fit this laptop then I would advise you look at the other models which may fit your needs better. And this goes for everybody.

In my case, I need laptop/media/main machine. I'll conect my printer, TV, external display and my external hard drive for my files (like 700GB of movies, music and pictures).

I only game basic games, like SC 2, maincraft and diablo 3.

I would like to buy an 27" iMac and retina macbook but I think it 2 computers will be to much for my use.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I have a 15" Pro. No way i would let that go. This rMB, on the other hand is just a luxury. It's rather (or very) small. I really like it, but it's an accessory.

Now, if travel/commute is paramount, than perhaps. If your really on the road, then perhaps. Over seas travel, or a daily commute?

Than again, it's personal. Some people only use a phone for a computer. And of course, there are people who don't use anything.

Big world :D

xibis

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
I picked up the rMB Space Gray, 512GB yesterday from the Apple Store. I was technically due for a new laptop (last purchase was a 2011 15" MBP). I have been on the fence if I should go with a rMB or a rMBP. I chose the rMB for the following reasons. I have a Mac Mini with an i5 processor and 1TB hard drive hooked up to a 27 in 1080p monitor. It is basically a giant media server for my iPad and Apple TV's and it sit's next to my work computer and is used for a jukebox during the work day. If I need to edit pictures it does just fine. If I'm not working I never use the computer unless I need to do some real work, which my iPad can't do.

I mostly use my iPad Air around the house and for work travel to check email, surf the web, watch movies, play games, etc. I wasn't sure how the rMB was going to change my life. With that said, a day into having the rMB, I find myself enjoying the content creation side of computing again. I never would have typed this post on my iPad or sat at my Mac Mini at night, facing away from the TV. Texting with friends from the rMB is also easier. I actually have a little more patience to type a message. I also started watching some movies on my rMB. I have to say that the iPad is better for watching videos via Netflix, iTunes, etc. because when it's dark, it's easier to pause, change volume, etc on the iPad. I will say that the speaker on this rMB far exceeds my expectations. At the end of the day, if you can afford a secondary Mac, the rMB is a great choice. If you only have one Mac, then I would say go with the rMBP just in case you needed to do some heavy lifting.

bobtheknight

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
picked up a rMB base model, after selling my 2014 rMBP.

rMB is alot lighter, thats the only thing going for it.

It has some bugs which needs to be ironed out, some lag issues, lack of USB is a bummer.

I primarily exchanged it for travelling as I have an imac retina at home.

If you dont mind the "weight" of the rMBP, then that is slightly better than the rMB... imo.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Really depends. The retina macbook pro is more powerful and will have a longer lifespan but the rMB is deceiving. More than enough for what you do. I'd personally think you'll be fine with either machine but i'd go with the rMBP just so there's no question it'll get you through everything.

bobtheknight

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
My major issue is the temporary lag with the rMB ...I think it has something to do with the USB C multiport adapter and compatibility with wireless keyboard/mouse connected via the usb dongle on the multiport adapter...I started a thread on this (bluetooth keyboard/mouse = no lag btw) .

I connect my rMB to a 27 inch monitor so I need a wireless mouse/keyboard - logitech in this case. Tbf I have connected logitech [dont think the brand is an issue] wireless keyboards/mice to a number of MBA's and MBP and have never had lag to this extend. the lag is temporary. For 30 mins its fine, then suddenly massive lag for like 30 secs.

I went to apple store today, they suggested I changed the multiport adapter (i dont think this is the issue as it either works OR it doesnt). I am guessing its a software issue.

On top of this there are a number of other posts from users reporting on the lag issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.