Should I get the Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JordanC92, Aug 1, 2010.

1. JordanC92 macrumors newbie

Should I get the Magic Mouse to use with my 13.3" MPB? Does anyone own one? Is it any good?

Thanks

2. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Nope. It's a piece. It's marginally better than the hockey puck mouse. It's extremely uncomfortable to actually right click with, I'd imagine painful if you used it for more than a few minutes.

I have used two Logitech laser mice, those are best suited as part of a desktopish setup. For that application, they are superb.

For travel, I had a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse that worked great with the Mac's internal Bluetooth (no need for a dongle), but it bit the dust after more than a year riding around in my backpack. I have a cheapo Logitech mouse now that's pretty good for $20, but requires a dongle to be plugged in. There's lots of stuff out there, AFAIK, all the good stuff is either Logitech or Microsoft. Both companies have laptop mice that work well with OSX.

4. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Mighty Mouse was the worst mouse I have ever used. Magic Mouse is the best, I took to it right away. It's impossible for any of us to know whether you will like it or not. Opinions are definitely divided on it. At the very least you should go try one in an Apple store.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. JordanC92 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! i will get it considerin reading all the reviews and stuff. that MagicPrefs is deffo gonna be downloaded looks amazin!!

thanks peeps :)

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

I've been using the Magic Mouse for 8 hours a day for the last 6 months or so with my 13" 2009 MBP. I always use it with the Steermouse Magic Driver because it fixes Apple's abysmal mouse acceleration and offers more options than Apple's own settings.

It's a handy mouse to carry because it's small so it fits easily into a bag and the Bluetooth connectivity makes it easy to connect. The only time I've experienced lag is when moving something over WLAN at full speed (like a large file to a network server) because Bluetooth and Wireless N frequencies overlap.

At first I wasn't sold on the ergonomics but to use the mouse gestures it has to be fairly low profile. It could be a bit taller at the back though. The corners could be more rounded as well. So far I haven't had any hand issues from using the mouse.

As far as durability, the two "skis" at the bottom don't seem to be all that durable. Visible wear there, though it doesn't affect the performance or use of the mouse. Battery life is ok at best. I find I have to swap at least one of the batteries at slightly over a month. Turning the mouse off (switch at the bottom) when you don't use it for longer periods of time helps.

I think it's a decent mouse, but I'm not sure if I'd buy one again. The touch surface is cool, but it doesn't really do anything that I can't do with mouse gestures using something like XGestures.

8. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Love it or hate it

The Magic Mouse is a love or hate device. I really like it. I just wish it worked for Windows. Best advice is to try one. Get it from a place where returns are acceptable.

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hate it.

Wasn't ergonomic, so it gave me hand cramps. Would always accidentally flick things and windows to the side etc. Batterylife was atrocious for me. Rough bottom so didn't glade smoothly over my table - too much friction. Basically too much work to "get used to".

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you have a MacBook then its a no brainer to get the MM. It does take some time getting used it though. It also eats batteries pretty quick, but other than that, its a nice mouse.

11. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad

Based on the reviews of the Magic Mouse (users did not like that it was too hard to grip on its sides, too flat to support the hand, and too hard to press), I decided to try the Magic Trackpad. Same principal, bigger area, easier to press, no need to move.

Magic Trackpad

12. JordanC92 thread starter macrumors newbie

i was thinking of the magic trackpad but then realised there is no point as ive already got a mini version of the magic trackpad on my MBP so the MM wud b betta 4 me x

13. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Yes get it, I consider it the best Apple mouse to date, and have been using it since September, I don't like it for games though, but for basic things I love it.

14. JordanC92 thread starter macrumors newbie

just got the Magic Mouse and I love it already :):) tried MagicPrefs but not sure bout tha yet :):):):)

15. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Glad you like it OP.

I just started using the magic mouse again that came with my iMac.

Still hate it. Horrible jumpy movements on my steelseries gaming pad and the sticky plastic is annoying. But to each their own!

Man I love my VX Revo.

16. gorby macrumors 6502

Was going to add a vote for no but it looks like the OP has got one already and is happy. That's all that matters :)

I've come to grips with the fact that an ergonomic shape will never be compatible with Apple's design aesthetic (where everything becomes thinner and thinner every year). Unless fat shapes become nice looking again, there's no hope there.