Should i get the MBP, MBA or wait? Dilemma here

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v490, Sep 20, 2011.

1. v490 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. Here are my requirements for a laptop:

-Light and portable
    -Fast
    -Long lasting battery
    -Powerful enough to run photoshop (the heaviest application i use)

Apart from photoshop I mainly just browse the web, listen to music/watch movies..... I also play League of Legends, but I don't expect to be running it flawlessly on a 13 inch MB, although it would be nice because its basically the only game i play.

Anyway, I was thinking about both the MBP and MBA (13 inch). I am more prone on the MBA though.

- 128GB - I dont need a big HD, and the speed that comes from the SSD is worth it

- Processore Intel Core i5 dual-core 1,7GHz - I think this is powerful enough for photoshop, i don't do any heavy video or music editing so this processor should be actually more than enough and last a few years.

- 4GB RAM - I seriously doubt I need more.

- Intel HD Graphics 3000 - this is the weakness of both of them, but i guess i cant expect too much from such light and small laptops. If it would run league of legends (cant find any info on it) it would be absolutely perfect.

I Think the MBA would be a better choice, right? The MBP would give me more processing power, but the portability of the MBA is better isnt it?

The third option is waiting, i was reading just now about ivy bridge and possible graphics improvements for MBA and MBP, but how long would I have to wait for that?

Thank you

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I reckon you should go with the 4GB MBA. It'll handle photoshop with ease, and I reckon it'll play league of legends decently. The battery life in the MBA's is great too. The only advantage of getting a MBP would be the ability to upgrade the hard drive and RAM after purchase, and better graphics. But you won't be running too many games, so the graphics on the air should be fine.

3. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

buy

buy one or the other you will be happy now and you can always sell it and buy another one later..

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

The MacBook Air should be more than enough for your needs. Plus you get a higher resolution screen. Personally, I would't recommend the MBP 13" compare with the new MacBook Air :)

Unless you're going to the 15" High-res, otherwise MBA is a really good machine and fit your requirement. :)

Regrading to the Photoshop, is it your hobbly or everyday work? If you use it everyday, you might need to consider something more powerful. I'm not sure about the requirement of your game though.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 13" MacBook Air would be the good choice here.

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Given your requirements I'd go for the 13" MBA.

8. v490 thread starter macrumors newbie

Photoshop is a hobby. Anyway ive thought about it some more and i think ill go for the air. Thanks for the advice