Should I get the Otterbox Defender or Reflex for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Walse, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Walse macrumors member

Hey guys, I've recently swap my iPhone 4 for a one to one exchange due to faulty home button and is looking to purchase one of the Otterbox cases mentioned in the title.

Just some background, I have quite a number of cases namely Griffin Survival, Seidio Convert, Trident Kraken, SGP leather grip, SGP leather pouch, etc. The survivor is too bulky but gives an overkill all-rounded protection. Seidio is great, 2 case in 1 and love their holster! The Kraken is much what I would call a toy, not too sure of their integrated belt-clip design, the fit and quality of the silicone could very well be revised too. I find myself using the SGP leather grip most of time.

I've always struggled to get an otterbox but I think it's time to stop thinking and get one to experience for myself. One problem here though, I cannot decide on the Defender or the Reflex. Both seem to offer excellent protection, with the defender offering a bit more covers.

I just wanna hear from all your opinions and advice on the 2 cases. Thanks guys and gals!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Defender Gets My Vote

I've been using one for a while....If you want total protection, it's the one to get:)

3. Walse thread starter macrumors member

Comments on the silicone skin?

Thanks for your reply Macman. :)

Do u experience problems with the silicone skin like many complained about?
    What are the pros u like about the case and also the cons which bothers u?

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The couple of reviews I've watched on YouTube about the new OB Defender have said that the silicone is much further this time and makes it more durable. I've been considering getting a Defender for both my iPad 2 and my 4S.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Reflex slips into/out of your pocket nicely and holds the iPhone very tight.

It's the same size as Pixelskin HD, which is the smallest form factor I've seen that has actual drop protection.

6. al0513 macrumors 6502

Defender.

Just get the regular 4 Defender case. The only thing that is off is the mute button but you can still use it. My friend uses one for his 4S and I just ordered one online for mine.

Usually they go for $30-$40 in stores compared to $50 for the 4S case

I ordered mine off thecellguru.com for $19.95 shipped.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

To me the newer version for the 4S exposes too much of back camera/flash and front proximity sensor. But I like the newer version, it seems slimmer. If I can find front and back screen protector solution to protect the back camera/flash and front proximity sensor I'm getting this case.

8. Walse thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting a reflex for my wife. Really considering if I should get the same too. Cheaper too :)

I would love to just get both of them, but I only have 1 phone for it. :p

9. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

what about the commuter? My gf has the which is nice, but several people at my work have the defender, which just seems too big for me, especially in pant pockets. I'm looking at the commuter bc it seems like the best of both.

10. al0513 macrumors 6502

Never personally used the commuter or the reflex.

I'm not one to be hard on my phones but I know that the one time I didnt have a case, because i wanted to keep it "naked" I dropped it and it cost me $200 to replace.

The few times I did drop my iphone 4, I had the defender on it. Its only $20 shipped at the site I posted above, not my site, not adv for it, just saying its the best deal on a case that WILL save your phone from ultimate shattering.

11. Walse thread starter macrumors member

Going to rock the Reflex

No doubts on the defender protection. Ultimately, Otterbox is the grandfather of all protective cases before the other makers decide to take a slice of the cake.

I quite sold and convinced with the Reflex design concept after seeing the interview of one otterbox staff explaining the design and the science put into this case. Since I already have the survivor and the convert, I might as well try something new like the Reflex.

Ordered 2 of them, one for me and one for wife, a couple thingy :)

So excited!!

12. Walse thread starter macrumors member

Otterbox Reflex is here!

The Reflex are here :)

First thing I noted was the actual color of the polycarbonate is a little off as compared to the otterbox website. I ordered a gunmetal for myself and a deep plum for my wife. The deep plum color is much nicer looking on the website, nontheless, the actual product is still acceptable.

The black rubber trimmings running around the case is of good quality and the polycarbonate seem to be capable of withstanding some abuse. I don't seem to agree with some of the comments about the PC being cheap, what I'm having here is something well built. The case hugs real tight, screen protectors can easily get peel off if the case is not installed carefully. For me, I try to pry the edges of the case a little before carefully sliding in the phone. This is to make sure that the edges of the case sits on top of the screen protectors, hence not peeling it off in the sliding process. Once that is done, I have no problems with bubbling issues. Btw, I have the Seidio Ultimate Screen Guard on my phone.

I have no intention of throwing my phone across the room to test the protection claimed by this case. Basing on the impression I get after feeling it in my hands and carefully examining the case, the Defender will definitely win hands down for protection. Not suggesting that the Reflex is inferior (this is an excellet case), but I just I wouldn't be confident enough to drop my phone in the Reflex for any height more than 1.5 to 2 meters.

Included in the package is a otterbox sticker, a microfiber cloth, a clear screen protector and a squeege card.

If you are comparing or contemplating between the Comutter and the Reflex, I would only advise to go with your preference of having more silicone feel or PC feel. Whether you feel safer with a silicone jacket over the phone follow by a PC shell or you can accept the new crumple zone concept (rubber and PC integrated into one-piece design). For me, I quite sold at this new concept. What about u? :)

13. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

I love the idea of the Reflex and even the feel.

My issue is that it has ruined every one of my screen protectors, even the super thin and cut small Monoprice ones.

The issue with the quality that has been noticed is that all of the cases seem to be put together different. I have an older black one, and 2 iPhone 4s versions (one gunmetal, the other black).

The older one was really tight on top but super lose on the bottom. The new ones both have different dimensions. For instance the gunmetal one is super tight and even after sanding the edges down slightly it still is a really tight fit just to get the phone in. The newer black one fit a little better, but ultimately pushed the screen protector into the screen. It looked ok for a day but started to peel up/bubble by the next day.

Personally, for a day to day case the newer version of the defender isn't terrible. While it is less protective overall than it used to be, the silicone/rubber on the outside is super stiff now so it is easier to use the case without the clip. The old version you had to use the clip just to make sure the silicone didn't come off in your pocket. The new one can be used in a tight pair of jeans without the clip.

If you want ultimate protection the Survivor is the way to go, but for a day to day case the newer defender is fine. Really protective and surprisingly small. Especially since you can get them on Amazon for like 30 bucks. I got a yellow/grey one on there for 28. The other 1 I have is a review unit.

14. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I've never had the reflex, but I am not impressed by the Otterbox. It collects more dust and dirt on the silicone. Then I bought a survivor, a little too bulky still for me, but at least it didn't collect as much junk. I finally settled with a candyshell. Not as bulky, it looks awesome, and it's still going to protect my phone if I drop it.

15. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I've had all 3. The Reflex is my favorite but the Defender works well if you plan more rugged outings. It saved the phone while dune buggying through mud in the Dominican Republic this past summer. But the Reflex saved it during a bike ride when it slipped out of my Spider Podium mount.

16. Mark98xlt macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Has anyone tried using the incase fitted screen protectors they sell now to be used with there slider cases that are notorious for peeling up screen protectors? I know this case is the same design concept with being a slider type but this might be the key!

17. Walse thread starter macrumors member

I'm a real case addict. I ordered a Casemate Tank. Waiting for it to come, wOnder if it's really better than the Defender?

I too own the Survivor, excellent protection but freakig BIG!

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

With all those cases you have................................................................................................................................................................................................................... how many times have you actually dropped your phone?

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

Should not have to do that....and it looks to me like all of the videos on their site demo on phones without screen protectors installed.

Anyone else have experience with protectors and this case?

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

A lot of you tube reviews have said the Reflex can peal screen protectors. I assume the stock screen protector that comes with the Reflex doesn't?

21. Walse thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, a few times :) lets not let it be too literal, as in a good case = protection. I mean yes, they do give good protection but I guess most of us are just more interested in how the phOne look and feel in the case :)

----------

I'm not too sure about the stock protector that comes with the Reflex, but I think it shouldn't be too much of a diff since the case is really tight. Just have to be extra cautious when installing the case.