Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphonexs1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Hello to all,

I’ve been struggling with whether to get the XS Max or the regular XS. Anyone have any thoughts or advice as to which one I should go with? I simply cannot decide. I know I the 256g is what I need as I tried the 64g and I had already taken up 54.5gs so currently I have the 256g Max but I’m tempted to go to the apple store and exchange it for the regular XS 256g. Thanks for any help!!

frosty18

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
I think that if you are having second thoughts about your Max then you should try the 5.8" for a few days and see if you like it. You can always return that one too and go back to a Max again.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
How in the world is anyone on this site supposed to answer that question for you if you can't answer it yourself?

Everyone is going to have their own personal preferences on why they prefer one size over the other (eg. I vastly prefer the Max), but they're all legitimate reasons and everyone should get the device that fits their needs best, not the device that a plurality of forum posters have told you to get.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My wife really wanted the big screen so we updated her from X to XS max, she loves it

I’ve had the plus size phones since they came out, but after having my X, I don’t want to go back to a bigger phone. To me, the X is the perfect size for a phone

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hello to all,

I’ve been struggling with whether to get the XS Max or the regular XS. Anyone have any thoughts or advice as to which one I should go with? I simply cannot decide. I know I the 256g is what I need as I tried the 64g and I had already taken up 54.5gs so currently I have the 256g Max but I’m tempted to go to the apple store and exchange it for the regular XS 256g. Thanks for any help!!

It’s all down to size. And the only way you will be able differentiate between the 5.8 and 6.5 size comfortably, is to actually have hands on experience with them. Find out what works best for you by handling the displays in the store, as that’s really what you’re purchasing, is a larger phone with a bigger display.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
My suggestion for you is to go to a store and play with both and see what you like better. We can’t make that decision for you. Both have their advantages/disadvantages.

For me, I went with the xs max mainly for the large screen. I watch a lot of media on my phone, so the larger screen is nice. I also like typing on the larger screen better, and basically everything else about it.

I had the X. My favorite thing about that phone was the size. Easier to carry. But I also don’t find the max hard to carry either.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I went with the Max because, I like the larger keyboard. Bigger screen is nice too. No matter the phones size I have always used two hands to type so that’s not an issue for me either. The thing I like least is portability.

Reactions: draa

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I was going to get the XS, but kept looking at the Max. I got the Max. It's significantly larger than my old iPhone 7, but I really like the larger size. It doesn't feel that large anymore. I read a lot on my phones, and the larger size is great for that. I don't mind the extra weight, and the battery life has been much better than my iPhone 7. (Apple replaced the battery in that one.) I've always used two hands for phones, so that hasn't been a problem. About the only negative thing about the larger size is how tightly it fits in the front pocket of my jeans when I sit down. But the loss of circulation in my leg is worth it. :)

czerney

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
I upgraded from a 6s+ to the XS. Due to the thin bezel, the XS screen real estate is 'practically' the same size in a smaller form factor. For me the 6s+ was just physically too big to handle and I have reasonable sized hands too - it bugged me for the 3ish years that I owned it especially trying to reach my right thumb over to press anything anywhere near the top left corner.

XS is perfect size for me and it only took a few minutes to get used to typing on the smaller keyboard. Best iphone I've owned by far.

Reactions: bhodinut

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I went with the Max because, I like the larger keyboard. Bigger screen is nice too. No matter the phones size I have always used two hands to type so that’s not an issue for me either. The thing I like least is portability.

I agree with all this, (I’m a two-handed user also), except the portability thing.
It’s barely bigger than then a 6S Plus, 7 Plus, or 8 Plus.
Pants, shirts, and coat pockets all accommodate my Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.