Should I get this Macbook Pro 15 mid 2014 or late 2013?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dasdasdasdas, Dec 6, 2014.

1. dasdasdasdas macrumors newbie

2. kennyman macrumors regular

Hello,

I am in a similar situation right now. I had a macbook air that has served me well, however it was struggling with Adobe and FCPX. I have sold it on ebay and have received the payment just yesterday. Now I am looking for a rMBP, not sure which one to buy?:(

Did you make your decision on your purchase?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're basically the same machine except for two differences.
    The 2048 priced model uses the dGPU and has a larger SSD.

You didn't define how you'll be using it, so its hard to say which will be better for you.

If you're going to be doing some tasks that push the GPU or need lots of space then the 2048 model is the better choice.

If it were me, I'd opt for the lower priced one. The Iris Pro is a great iGPU, and I don't need the 512 SSD. I'd rather save some money.

4. dasdasdasdas thread starter macrumors newbie

What I'm using it for

Hey, thanks for your reply.

This is basically to upgrade from my current work computer(s) - a 3 year old i5 desktop and a 2 year old Dell Inspiron. I'm still going to keep on using them for tasks like running a server or internet surfing. But here's basically what I'm planning to do on my laptop.

iPhone / Mac Development (basically why I'm getting a Mac)
    Coding
    Watching Tutorials / Learning stuff like Photoshop (maybe)
    Maybe running data intensive tasks like Machine Learning algorithms
    Having more than 2 monitors connected
    Having 18 millions Google Chrome Tabs open (I'm lazy)
    Maybe playing a game in VMWare. Oh and yes, VMWare.
    I don't really care about the disk space. I prefer the cloud and the information superhighway.

It's a regular software developer's laptop basically. My current machine for doing this stuff is my work laptop which is a late 2013 2.6GHz Macbook.

This would be quite an investment and I'd hate to have it become obsolete in 3 years like my Dell Inspiron did. But please do keep in mind that a $350 difference is less than a $1500 investment another machine in a year or so

----------

Yet to work on it. That's why this post is here.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The $2049 model can greatly help in rendering and CUDA-accelerated software.

If you're going to keep it for a few years, go for the $2049 variant.

6. dasdasdasdas thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a difference in the Hardware though?

Is there a big difference in the performance / hardware thought that favors the new model? Also, considering the resale value?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's zero difference between the late-2013/mid-2014, because they all share the same Haswell architecture.

Even if there's differences, it'd be only around <5%.

8. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

For development purposes, any of those machines you mentioned would be fine.
    I have done data mining in a Dell Vostro laptop and the results were not the greatest: you have to be a little be patient. Basically, it's all about the amount of data set. I had tried some very large data sets with image rec and I had to wait around 5' to get the result (i3 2310m CPU, 8gb ram, 60gb ssd). Tried the same thing on my pc with the GTX460 back in the days and the 3930K: much faster times. I have even tried some extremely large data sets on a Mac Pro Server (2012 I think), guess what: 5'+ of waiting times. You got my point I think.
    My personal opinion is that if you plan to do a lot of data mining, get the machine with dGPU. I have the impression that you would be benefited from that extra power.
    If you want to have 2+ monitors connected, I think dGPU is the only way to go. Iris can not handle I think 3 monitors at the same time.
    Internet tabs means ram, so you are fine with either machine.
    I use VMWare a lot but not for gaming. For any other purposes I am using Fusion for, I have nothing to say: everything is smooth with my MacBook.

Hope I helped you a little..

9. kennyman macrumors regular

@dasdasdasdas
    yet to work on it. That's why this post is here.[/QUOTE]

ok, thanks. I saw another post pointing to Apple Refurb units, I have settled down for a refurb rMBP late 2013 one around $2630 from Apple Store.

late 2013 model
    2.6 Ghz Quad
    16 GB
    1TB SSD
    Nvidia GT 750M

Cannot wait for delivery now