Should I get this MD102 Mid-2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ai3gtmc, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ai3gtmc macrumors newbie

I want to get started on Apple Computers, budget is tight so I'm alright with used stuff.

I found deal on a MA102 for $700
    13"
    256GB SSD
    16GB RAM
    Core i7 2.9Ghz

I like the idea of replacing the optical drive as another drive for dual drive setup.
    Is this still a good Macbook?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like a nicely upgraded computer. For $700, it's not a bad deal, but newer models have a better screen and battery life, faster CPU, GPU, RAM, and SSD.

What do you use your computer for?

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That'll be great as a starting machine at a sensible price go for it.

4. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

That's actually a good price. Definitely good for a starting machine.

5. ai3gtmc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be using it for Mainstage/Ableton when I play live and Web Development when I'm working.
    I don't really mind not having retina because I'll be using it with a 23" monitor when I'm working. What I'm worrying about is the future updates.

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

That machine, although from 2012, is still be sold new from Apple. Therefore it's probably going to get support for longer than most. With upgraded processor, RAM, and SSD you will have a very responsive machine for years to come.

7. ai3gtmc thread starter macrumors newbie

I just googled that and it looks like that's the case :) thank you for shedding light on that.

8. treekram macrumors 6502a

I just bought refurb unit from Apple for $829. My computer is 2.5 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. I was curious about whether they just built a lot of them and are selling them off or what but the serial # indicates that mine was built was last month (November). A used model could have been built any time from 2012-now.

9. andy8408 macrumors newbie

andy8408

I just bought a mid 2012 MacBook Pro i7 2.9 8mb Ram in the UK...its been refurbished and I had my original 256 SSD drive replaced in it. Its an amazing machine and will be great for you - also they take up to 16Mb of memory though Aplle say 8 max -! a bargain