Should I get this santa rosa macbook pro (cracked screen)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frogcat, Apr 20, 2009.

1. frogcat macrumors member

Hi,

I found a deal on a macbook pro with a broken screen. It is the Santa Rosa model (2.2Ghz, 160GB HDD, 2GB Ram). He is selling it for $500, but I don't know if it's a good idea. He seems pretty legit, and he told me what happened to the computer (A speaker fell on the case, and cracked the screen). Everything still works, but should I tread cautiously? I have faith in the robustness of the old pro's, but still...a speaker?

Thanks Macrumors.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I guess if (1) you're convinced that the broken screen is the ONLY thing wrong with it, (2) you know how to replace a screen, and (3) you know for certain that you can do it for only a few hundred dollars, I say go for it.

In my case, I'd have to say no to all 3 and shop elsewhere. Caveat emptor.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i would definitely buy it, but i would likely not repair the screen and instead use it with an external monitor most of the time and live with the broken screen (depending on the damage) when necessary.

but i'm not one of those people who treats their computer better than their child.

the cost of a replacement panel on ifixit.com is $1000. you may find cheaper elsewhere, but you'd have to be doubly lucky to find a working panel cheap.

regardless, it's a great machine if you don't need to be working on the go most of the time...

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

see if you can get $300 for it and use it with an external monitor as the other poster suggested. $500 is still too much.

5. bkarabel macrumors member

Did you find it on Craigslist ( nyc ) ?.