Should I get this Unibody Macbook Pro? 2.4 for $1000

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peapody, Nov 14, 2009.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Just wondering what your thoughts are. I am in line for a deal from another forum for a Unibody Macbook Pro. The specs are 2.4gHz. 4gb Ram, 250gb hdd. 6months old for $1,000.

I currently have what is listed in my sig, and was wondering if this is a deal I should go for. I think resale for my computer is around $800 (correct me if I am wrong) on ebay. Would I be stupid not to jump?

I guess the deal is that, I like the classic. I like they keyboard and the looks of the machine and it is fine for me. What I am worried about is future resale value decline since this is a pretty slow speed comparatively. This is why I am torn.

Any suggestions guys?

2. G.T. macrumors 6502a

If its all ok I'd say go for it

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It might be 'slower comparatively' but unlike the base spec entry 15" MBP now, it has a dedicated 9600M GT graphics card to choose from. I'd say the extra $200 would be worth it. That MBP might not have quite the same battery life as the current one but it does have an easily upgradeable HDD. Let's say you get a 7200rpm Seagate 500GB drive to put in there so that you don't go to a computer with less space. Those can be had for $110.

So, would you consider paying $325 for a computer that is 12% faster, has 33% more RAM, has faster DDR3 vs DDR2 RAM, has an LED backlit display, has the modern current MBP looks and has the big nice trackpad. I say $325 so that you can add in a better hard drive and get a cheap enclosure for the existing one giving you a 250GB external drive.

Personally, I'd do it and up the drive. In terms of future resale value, the UMBP is likely to hold it's value a little better since it looks like the current models.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1 do it...its worth it IMO

5. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Thanks for the really good input guys.

Do you think this is a deal worth going for? I guess that is what I am questioning to. I am a bargain hunter so I guess I am wondering if I should wait for a better deal to come along or not.

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

You don't say what the screen size is. Is it the same as your current MBP?

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm a deal hunter too and I would go for it. The non Unibody MacBook Pro will likely lose more in terms of $$$ resale value than the Unibody one would over a comparable time. Personally, I'd consider all the extra stuff I mentioned earlier to be worth the extra cash.

The only 2.4GHz MacBook Pro in the last year or so was the 15" Unibody first generation one.

8. thecheda macrumors 6502

Resale?

Is it really because of the resale? I have a MBP 15 inch from 2 years ago, and it works like a charm.

9. thecheda macrumors 6502

But those Unibody MBPs ARE nice....I might be putting mine up for sale soon as well.