Should I get Vista 64?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Apr 27, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2.8 Octo mac pro with 4 GB RAM and Geforce 6800GT. Right now I have 32-bit Vista Ultimate. I see that Bootcamp 2.1 now supports 64-bit versions of Windows. Should I upgrade to the 64-bit version? Would I notice any difference? I have a friend who would buy my 32-bit version, so it isn't l like I'd be losing all of money from the old one, just some. What do you guys think?

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

With 4GB of RAM, you likely will not notice much difference since Windows will be able to access 3-3.5GB of it. I use 8GB on my HP workstations and Vista/XP 64 is snappier since it can really exercise that extra 4.5-5GB of memory.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I don't know if you would notice a difference or not but I also own Vista Ultimate and it came with both. The 32 bit and the 64 bit. Where did you buy ours that you don't have the second disk :confused:

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought mine from Newegg, OEM. Should I have received the 64-bit version?

5. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I look at my specs in Vista, it says 1.99 GB. ?? Should it be seeing more?

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I bought mine from from a retailer. Not a OEM version. Mine came with both.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not unless you asked for it specially.

I assume you're using Vista Ultimate.

To be honest that and the fact that you can use it on multiple machines are the only advantages of the retail version over the OEM editions.

8. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can use a retail version on multiple computers?

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Yes, but only on one at any one time.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you have plans to buy more RAM, then it'll mean you don't have to reinstall Vista to take advantage of the additional RAM. It might be worth doing for that. If you plan to stick to 4Gb for the foreseeable future, then it's not really worth it.

And as ^ said, sequentially and not consecutively :) OEM licenses are essentially non-portable, although moving it around is technically only a violation of the EULA.

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It would only Really be a difference with a few gigs more of ram otherwise there isn't too much of an advantage of running 64-Bit.

12. GotPro macrumors 6502

Not sure if you just "NEED" Vista for something... but XP will run circles around it from a raw performance standard. ESPECIALLY if you right click on My Computer... go into advanced and choose "best performance" and turn all the goofy green Microsoft "Eye Candy" off.

Runs incredibly fast on my Quad 2.8 2008!

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It's not scientific, but I have always ran 32-bit Vista (Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion) until recently when I installed Vista 64-bit instead, and there seems to be a major difference in how 'snappy' Vista 64-bit seems to boot, load in from the password screen and shut down etc, it just FEELS much faster. I was quite surprised to notice any difference at all.

14. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Anyone try XP64 in Fusion? I have a promo disk I got at a Microsoft HEC conference. I can't run it in Boot Camp since its SP1, so I wonder if it's any better in Fusion than the 32 bit.

15. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Running an OS via virtualization should always offer poorer performance than running it natively since you have the "host" OS' overhead, as well.

16. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I installed XP Pro 32 which I ran for a few weeks before installing Vista 64. I notice a big speed increase especially when running DirectX10 games. The OP probably purchased Vista 32 which being an OEM version is not subject to the $10 64 bit disk from Microsoft that the retail versions do. However the savings by buying OEM are very much worth it (when was the last time you called Microsoft technical support line?) For me it was when I installed Windows 95!!!
    Alan

17. ceres macrumors regular

Some of that can be attributed to more aggressive "superfetching / prefetching".
    When you juxtapose how much vista 64 loads into system memory in comparison to vista 32 it´s pretty clear why big apps launch that quickly (over time).