Should I get...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by feather, Mar 11, 2012.

1. feather macrumors newbie

iPad Wifi (32GB or 64GB) right now?

or

iPad 4G 32GB?
    99% of the time, I would use Wifi on it. I just want the 4G incase I do travel then I could get data from my carrier.

or

iPad Wifi (32GB or 64GB) AND iPhone 5?
    So I could use my iPhone 5 to "tether" it and don't have to pay for data. Right now I have a Blackberry (and obsessed with it) but the only reason I would switch to iPhone is to "tether" it.

2. Anlino macrumors member

If you describe your 4G usage as "in case", you shouldn't get the 4G model. I don't think the one percent is worth it.

As for flash drive size, most people will do fine with the 32 GB model. If you plan to watch a lot of movies and download a lot of heavy weight apps (3D games in particular), go for the 64 GB.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

This is a good question. Here is my opinion.

I think most people will need 32 gigs, I went with 64 gigs, so I could keep a few high deff movies on my iPad. From all I have read 32 gigs is plenty for most and thats what I got for my wife.

I am 31 years old and my eyes are already starting to go to ****, so I am trying to move a lot of the workflow from my iPhone to the iPad 4G. I may even downgrade to a regular cell phone at some point.

If you are always running around town and you need 4G on a device that is the size of the iPad then get it, but for most people I think they would rather use their iPhone for portability and save on the extra cash.

All and all it depends on how you use it and what works best for you.

----------

Second thought its better to get what you want the first time instead of having to buy it twice.

5. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

With the new iPad 3, the apps are going to take up more space, pictures too, so upgrading to 64GB may be mandatory for people who were use to 32GB

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Please quantify how much more space I will need if I have twenty apps and one hundred pictures on my ipad2. How much more space (in GB) will they require?

Thanks.

7. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm unsure myself but I've been recommended if I'm going to get 32GB, go the next size up because the new apps will require more room because of the retina display and you may be taking more pictures/videos because of the 1080p which also requires more space.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

With the exception of games heavy on graphics & textures, I'm not sure app sizes will be significantly larger. A 50MB utility app with double-size button images and such isn't going to turn into a 400MB app. (FWIW, the largest app in my iTunes Mobile Applications folder is Monkey Island at half a gig. Next largest is Machinarium at 198MB, then Civilization Rev at 143MB. The vast majority seem to be well under 50M. Obviously I'm not a gamer... :D )

Videos will also be something to consider; if redownloaded or re-encoded for the new iPad, then they will definitely take more space. Someone typically carrying a few GB of videos should think about their requirements. I don't have a feel for how many people keep videos on their ipads; certainly many do, but definitely not everyone.

As to pictures, I don't think it will be something to be concerned with unless you're dealing with thousands of them on your ipad. You can fit a LOT of 3 megapixel jpegs into one GB for display.

I guess I'd be careful about thinking an upgrade may be mandatory; certainly someone frequently finding themselves running out of room on a 32GB iPad2 ought to jump up to a 64GB. Others who like lots of graphically intensive games or shoot/edit/watch a lot of video need to consider carefully. Someone who typically uses 2/3 of the capacity of a 32GB likely will be fine.