Should i give away the serial number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm selling my iPhone on eBay, and I just received a question from a potential buyer with a feedback score of 2. He asked for the serial number. Should I give it to him? What's the harm?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why would you give him the serial number?

The only reason i could think of is he is wondering when the iPhone was made. Which the 3rd digit would be the year (either 7 for 2007 or 8 for 2008) and then the 4th and 5th number is the week.

3. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I wouldn't...better safe than sorry - lol

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Ask him what he needs it for. I'm a bit curious what he says.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

if anything he's probably curious if the phone is legit. he will probably try calling apple/at&t or something.

6. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

its probably so he can log it as lost and fraudulantly obtain a new one.

7. weeman macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think is that the buyer wants to know the manufacture week or for warranty purposes (to check the applecare remaining on it.)

If is the later, then just provide him a screen shot and chop out the serial number. I wouldnt give out my serial, but what do I know.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've faced this question selling Apple products on Ebay as well. There really isn't anything 'bad' they can do with it. There is a serial number lookup on Apple's website that allows you to verify the specs and warranty info, and they could also use it to do a search of known stolen items.

Unlike the first few people in the thread, I would give it to the buyer. Otherwise you could come off looking a little shady.

9. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I told him the three digits and what they mean, and also asked why he needed it. He has yet to respond.

10. Readma macrumors newbie

I often ask for the serial number for apple items before i bid on things. Often this is because the seller themself has low feedback. I just figure that it would be pretty hard to duplicate something like that.

11. yode macrumors 6502

this is exactly why buyers do it. they want to make sure what they are getting is legit.

12. igglepuff macrumors regular

he probably wants it to see what week phone it is, to know what type fo unlock is possible on it .. until friday;s 2.0 push atleast heh. Yes, they can all be unlocked right now, however, there are diffrent ways depending on the phone, some better then others imo..

13. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i see no problem with giving it, but if it is for warranty and you prefer not to, just email him an edited screen shot.

14. muffyinatl macrumors newbie

same issue

my fiance has had his iphone for 2 years and just upgraded to the iphone 4. we wanted to jailbreak it now because i'm still under contract with tmobile and my phone has stopped working.

the 3rd 4th and 5th numbers in the serial number are 948...

does this still prevent me from jailbreaking the phone?

15. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

And how is he going to do that?

16. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

The serial number now has no relevance to the unlockability/jailbreak of a phone, it's all down to the iOS firmware it's running and the Baseband (Modem Firmware).

17. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

Actually it does. With the iPhone 3GS 8gb if it was manufactured after week 30 (I've also seen week 28 and well 36 as the cutoff) it has a newer bootrom and can not be unlocked using the iPad baseband.