Should I give two weeks notice...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, May 10, 2012.

?

Give 2 weeks notice after only a week of work?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    68.6%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Should I give two weeks notice after one week at a summer job?

2. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I would have given 3 weeks notice on the first day.

3. roadbloc, May 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Make it three. I guess you don't like working there then.

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Yes its the professional thing to do! Not to mention it sometimes leaves the company is a huge lurch especially if they were understaffed and used you to help alieviate that staffing stress.

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

yes, why are you quitting after one week though?

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

If it's a summer job I assume you are still in school. Is this your first job? If it is and you hate it I would say no harm no foul. If you have work history and this is going on any future application (it shouldn't btw) I would give the notice.

But in all honestly, you should NEVER burn bridges and always give a notice. If they are still training you they may just tell you to not bother coming in after you give the notice. This way you don't burn bridges and you get out of it right away. Investing time in someone who just started and has no plans on sticking it out is usually not worth anyone's time.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes you should unless you never plan on working anywhere near that industry again. Industries are smaller than you think and burning bridges is a bad idea. However, if they google your name I imagine not giving 2 weeks notice would be the least of their concerns. :)

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Answer is yes. Never burn bridges because you might need them again in the future. Remember people talk.

9. rdowns, May 10, 2012

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

No, just make sure you don't include the place in your work experience.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not really enough info to give a full reply, but all other things being equal... yes. It's a small world (especially in Canada with a relatively small population) and there is a good chance that someone who is impacted by your decision to leave may be in a position to influence whether or not you're hired in the future. Even in a totally unrelated field.

Luck.

Sounds like a story too....

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why don't you give the job another few weeks to see if you like it? A week is hardly enough to know for sure.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

I suspect he knew in the 1st hour, and decided to give it a full week so as not rush it. I've known people who've quit the 1st hour in. Some jobs, you just know.....

15. mobilehaathi, May 10, 2012

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wally: what's the job? why do you want to quit? If you are unhappy and don't need the $$, I think the answer is obvious.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've sadly been in that position as well... twice (once in a summer job situation, one in a professional role).

In my experience it's best to go in and talk to the manager directly. Tell them that you are resigning/quiting, be polite about the reasons why and tell them that you'll work with them if they need time while transitioning the role. For me in both cases I was out the door at the end of the day. While it was a tense situation (especially resigning after a week in the professional role), it was handled calmly and fairly.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree with sticking it out just a little longer.

I had places I hated at first that I ended up liking.

18. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I have decided to work casual during my days off at my new job.
    I was doing park beautification in all kinds of weather for 8 hours.

19. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

You were spending eight hours a day communing with nature, and getting paid for it. You don't know when you are well off.

KGB:rolleyes:

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Very constructive comment. OP: I would look at the contract of employment if you got one, if you didn't and I'm guessing you want out of the job, then theoretically you could just leave.

The polite thing to do is give the notice, whilst at the same time telling them you don't feel committed to the job. That way, they will probably prefer to let you go.

21. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

It is actually.

I am assuming that the OP didn't have the obligation (only 3 weeks total of work possible) when he/she applied for the position. Then the obligation started after he/she started working. The professional thing to do would be to give the notice ASAP, even if it's on day one.

If the OP knew that they could only work three weeks and failed to mention it, then they shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

22. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

The answer is a simple "Yes" just be polite when saying it and preferably discuss it directly with the manager.

23. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If it's just for the summer you are probably best sticking with it rather than having to try and find another job at short notice. I've had a summer job that I hated but it doesn't last forever and you have some money for when you get back to school.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. During the first shift of my second part time job I thought "this is ****, I'm never coming here ever again." Six months later it ended up being my first full time job.