Should I give up my job search?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kwong2006, Aug 15, 2010.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I graduated from a university this past May, and I've been looking for a job as a TV news reporter since then, to no avail.

I was wondering if this is a sign that I have been rejected by the professional community I have tried to get into, and if I should give up looking into this line of work, and go into something else.

Just to clear things up, I have never done anything that has ruined my reputation, nor do I have a criminal record (a parking ticket, yes, but I have never heard of a parking ticket ruining someone's career).

What should I do?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What about looking for an "apprentice" type job in the news industry?

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

You need to start looking in small markets. There are tons of job openings for someone who can report and shoot video.

4. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I have applied to small markets. Believe me when I say I am not one of those people who wants to work in LA right after college :)

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Is your reel any good, then? The jobs are there, you just have to make sure you're the best candidate for the position. If your reel isn't wowing the News Directors, you need to improve it. The News is the story you tell. Make sure you're the best storyteller out there.

6. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I had my reel looked at by other journalists, and they say it was good. Do you want the links to it?

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

We are in a depression right now so finding a job is going to be really hard if you have experace you have none so it is really worse.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

3 whole months? You do realize it takes the average graduate 9-12 months to find something in their field, right?

Keep plugging away, and make some contacts.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, this was my initial reaction as well. I don't know your industry, but do whatever you can to get your name out there - network network network. Be patient - don't give up.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It might help us answer your question :)

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

agreed, it's a bit early to be giving up

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you give up searching, then you will never get a job. Keep looking.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Also, I'd recommend to continue doing internships as long as they don't require you to be in school. I had a co-worker that got a really good audio engineering job just by interning after he graduated. The studio eventually hired him after someone quit because he knew their systems. I know you're industry is a little different but the point is the same; Persistence is key.

Also, just as a comparison, my old boss quit and it took him 2 months to find another management job and he had many years of experience.

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I am sorry but this threads OP reminds me of Jethro off the Beverly Hillbillies bragging about becoming a brain surgeon just because he gradiayted the third grade. I have my doubts that this topic is very genuine. The title of it made it look pretty innocent, but upon reading the OP's explanation (a very poorly worded one for a supposed budding Journalist/potential media personality) it sounds like BS.

you see here:
    looks like he's trying to get someone to take his bait

15. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I can tell you that this topic is very genuine, and that I'm not baiting anyone to do anything. I really don't know why you are being cynical, but if you don't like this topic, there are many other topics on this forum.

16. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I know the subtle con, are you collecting e-mails? IP addys?

Good lead in "oh ho humm I don't know if I want to keep looking for a job" (garner pity) explaining that you are a professional this or that (peak interest) then steer the conversation to the point where you mention having "links" (hoping to get a bite)....sorry but it sounds too fishy and the story is full of holes--like graduating and automatically expecting to land ANY job as a broadcast personality in a big or a small market rather than know through plain common sense the odds of that are astronomical and more likely you'd find yourself preparing for a very competitive internship behind the scenes. But your posts rely on sounding impressive enough to the uninformed to wind up taking a more shady direction.

17. awmazz macrumors 65816

Start your own Youtube channel and do your own reporting. Interviews. Product reviews. Whatever you want. Cover local stories that the networks don't. Basically either use it as a defacto reel to show them what you can do consistently and get 'picked up', and/or earn your keep by doing the job you want while waiting for the job you want.. ie, make money out of it the same way they do - viewers = advertising revenue (ie Google partnership and adsense etc).

The beauty of the internet is you can literally set up your own rival network, either local or worldwide with little or no infrastructure, just your wits and ability (and a camera and editing app). If you're actually good enough - you'll have to convince yourself you're good enough do it probably more so than convincing any network or station. It would be a far more challenging exercise as well. Link it with a news blog as well to boost traffic/viewers... self-employment possibilities are abundant if you actually want to be in front of a camera and/or in the public eye (most people don't).

Like the guy who interviewed all the people lined up at a Sarah Palin book launch in Ohio. He wasn't sent by a network or station. Probably made a decent week's salary out of that quick one day report from all the advertising clicks and video embeds... One of those a week and who needs to go looking for a 'proper' job?

18. ethical macrumors 68000

Why would someone who has been around 3 years longer than you, suddenly try and spam people and collect their email addresses?

Talk about a long-con.

19. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

From what I hear that is a tough business to get into. It's not even six months that you've been trying. Keep plugging away. Good things are always worth waiting for and no matter how crowded a field it may be there is always room for someone who is good.

20. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ignore Ttownbeast. I get the feeling he sees cons and scams everywhere he looks.

21. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

About that. Yes, I do have a YouTube page, but I didn't post the link last night (mind was in a haze from fatigue). Not all of my works are on there, though. The link is here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kencwong2010

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Your work sounded fine to me. Keep looking, get in however you can.

23. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You look like you're about 19 years old in some of your youtube clips. Perhaps a more "mature" looking hairstyle would help you.

Also, broadcast reporting is an extremely competitive field. It's going to take you a while.

24. Xavier macrumors 68020

My sister just graduated from college as well and she is having a very hard time finding a good job. She currently is working at Blockbuster, and let me tell you, you would not believe some of the things that happen there.

It is a hard time to find a job. My ex girlfriend just graduated in july, and has been job searching since Feb.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would agree with this. You look way to young and it would help if you would make yourself look older. Changing your hairstyle is more than likely your best bet.